Ron Cooper with Shimano 600 tricolour

rogerzilla

Retro Guru
Built up this afternoon - have been on a very quick test ride to adjust the gears but that's it so far!

20170907_173120 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20170907_173203 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20170907_173139 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20170907_173153 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20170907_173215 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20170907_173225 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20170907_173249 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

20170907_173310 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

Frame: Ron Cooper, assumed to be Columbus SL (was originally stickered SLX but isn't; it may be a mixture but there is certainly a lot of SL in it). Internal rear brake routing, which wasn't quite the nightmare I expected. 7-speed Shimano 600 tricolour groupset in mint condition. Bought from Scrafton on here; although the groupset was mint, the frame was in a tired state and had a bent mech hanger. Argos sorted this, checked the alignment and resprayed it flam orange (looks brown in the photos but pops in the sun). I taped the bars in orange too, but it didn't match so I ripped it all off again and used this silver stuff I had lying around. I don't like tape that gathers dirt.

Fork:Ron Cooper, Columbus

Headset: Dura-Ace
Stem: 3TTT Chromix 110mm
Handlebar: ITM 300
Bar Tape: Silver shiny tape

Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano 600
Brake Calipers: Shimano 600 SLR
Brake Pads: Shimano SLR
Brake Cables: Shimano SLR

Shifters:Shimano 600 downtube
Front Derailleur: Shimano 600
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 600
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SIS
Cassette: Shimano HG70 13-21
Chain: Shimano HG71
Cranks: Shimano 600
Chainrings: Shimano 600 53T and Stronglight 39T
Bottom Bracket: Shimano 600 cup-and-cone with dust seal
Pedals: Shimano A520

Rims: Rigida SHP600
Hubs: Shimano 600
Hub Skewers: Shimano 600
Nipples: DT brass
Spokes: DT Revolution except for RH rear which is DT Competition
Tyres: Vredestein Fortezza TriComp
Tubes: Specialized butyl

Saddle: Charge Knife
Seatpost: Deda 27.2mm
Seatpost Binder: Must be good because Argos charged me £9 for it

Bottle Cage: Topeak
Extras:A lot of Phil Wood grease! The BB shell is a Cinelli "spoiler" type and the rear brake cable runs through the top tube, which makes cable fitting fun. The brake bridge is pantographed "COOPER" on either side of the brake mounting hole.

Weight: Approx 20.5lb without pedals

Most of the parts came with the bike. I changed the tyres because they were old and cracked, the saddle because it was damaged, the seatpost because it wasn't long enough, the bar and stem (originally Cinelli) because I'd never ride a secondhand bar and stem of unknown mileage, and the bottom bracket, which was a worn-out cartridge. I rebuilt the wheels with new spokes because they were plain gauge and letting the bike down. Anyway, I never trust anyone else's wheels.

That looks really nice, the black rims and silver tape really set it off. The paint looks really deep.
Very nicely done!
I'm imagining it rides as well as it looks.

Jamie

Re:

Looks lovely, great colour!

Are they the single pivot, nutted brake calipers?

Hope you get many miles of happiness on it!

Mike

That's a fine looking machine. 600 is one of my favourite shimano groups.

Looks stunning, the colour is amazing and I like that iteration of the tricolour rear mech with the blanking plate. Happy pedaling!

Re:

Cinelli came wirh the bike but I wasn't going to ride used bars and stem of unknown mileage. I did get some Cinelli Giro d'Italia bars but they were so far out of tolerance (26.3mm sold as 26.0mm!) that they wouldn't fit the stem. Never been impressed with Cinelli stuff.

Back