Work bikes

Cinder Cone on the previous page is now gone, I parted it out and made some of my money back
The BB ate itself after a couple of weeks, took it apart and one side's cup is seized in the frame. Got written off by a mechanic friend.

For now, I'm using this £17 eBay bargain, only changed the tyres and added guards:

1994(?) Carrera Krakatoa Flex.
It runs great - the middle chainring has a crack in it and it's non-replaceable so cranks are next on the list.

I'm rockin' a '92 purple Giant Granite on my cross-London daily commute, been running it for 2 months without any squeaks so far!

I bought it off an old lad for 40 quid, the frame and bars were rusty and scratched but the mechanics very well maintained so apart from adding new continental travelcontacts and tubes, mudguards and pound shop lights I didn't have to do anything to it!

It's mostly original save for grips and front wheel, and the guy I bought it off had replaced the trigger shifters with ones better than the originals (originals were shimano 200gs gears). It's a firm ride but being really quite heavy it flies umder its own momentum once up to speed, just a bit sluggish from stationary!

I leave it locked up in London at evening and weekends so with my 80 quid d lock and loop cables and the fact the bike looks battered and 'uncool' it's not a prime candidate for theft!

I'm looking for something lighter so am looking at an aluminium Marin Rocky Ridge this weekend, so the Granite may well end up spending its twilight years as my short distance tourer, in any case I expect I'll strip and rebuild the ol' bugger!

Re:

Some of these bikes are far too good to be ridden to work. This is how I get there!

Attachments

• IMG_20161107_151554240.JPG
    IMG_20161107_151554240.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 2,890

Latest posts

Back