Harry Hill's 1954 AS Gillott (Ron Cooper Frame)

Sand_Dune

Devout Dirtbag
Hi guys,

I am looking for some help in identifying my “Ugly Duckling” bicycle… and maybe it’s previous owner who, judging by the size of the original front ring, knew how to ride a bike!

Thanking you all for your time and patience in advance...

Sand_Dune.

Some background and details….
It was provided to me, by a local charity. I have been using it daily and I’d like to return the favour by giving it some love, now I have some employment. Perhaps someone might offer some advice in terms of renovation options?

The bicycle had been stored in a rusty ISO container for quite some time. The charity offered me the opportunity to select a frame among the tangle of frames in the container. An old, unfashionable and very dirty, faded bicycle without wheels caught my eye. It was one of the few road bikes in there and also looked right for my size. On closer inspection my eye was drawn to the exquisite workmanship. It was quite stunning.

From what I understand from the charity, the bicycle was donated by a lady whose husband had passed some time ago. What little was known is that the former owner was an accomplished cyclist who had competed successfully in his youth.

The bicycle was serviced for me by the charity plus the following changes:
1. Replaced front gear rings and crank arm; the old rings had a 56 teeth large gear ring which was way too big for me.
2. Replacement wheels.
3. Removed the badge that was hanging off at the front of the bike (It had a motif on it and reference to Southampton, but that, alas went in the bin).
4. Replacement handlebars and brake levers.
5. Mudguards and pannier rack added.
6. Down-tube derailleur cable guide tube.

My helmet and lock eventually ended up costing as much as I paid for the bicycle and service.

I found a bloke looking at my bike whilst locked up and he commented on the craftsmanship so… I guess this has prompted me to look into the bike a little further…

From what I have identified so far:
Bottom Bracket stamped
607 OL10 2QM. (An address? #607 Heywood Old Road, Middleton/Bury/Rochdale I think?)
543623. (Serial Number? Is this a 1954 Gillott Frame?)
Stamped on the rear stay tubes: REG0D DE?? (I think this says Reg’d design. Not sure)
Stamped on the rear stay tubes: CYCLO (It’s faint but I think it says this)
Gerry Shields Sticker: (The shop where the bike was bought from or the dealer?)
Photographs:

Attachments

• Profile.jpg
    Profile.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 2,790
  • serial number.jpg
    serial number.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 2,788
  • absent badge.jpg
    absent badge.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 2,789
  • Bottom Bracket Postcode.jpg
    Bottom Bracket Postcode.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,788
  • Brake Caliper.jpg
    Brake Caliper.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,788
  • Gerry Shields.jpg
    Gerry Shields.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 2,789
  • headtube.jpg
    headtube.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 2,788
  • saddle.jpg
    saddle.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2,788
Re:

The 'Southampton' thing, the lugs, the frame number. Actually it is just as likely- if not more likely- to be a Gillot! :oops:
I'm not an expert. I guess the distance between the badge mounting holes might help identify it.

Re:

:)

Gillott was Southampton Way, London...
Took me a few days to cross reference Gillott....

....have been bumbling around a bit more...and come across this post from 6 years ago...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... it=gillott

That frame number is "543614"

The frame number on my "Ugly Duckling" is "543623".....Just 9 frames later? Possibly? I think?

Sand_Dune

Re:

Gillott was Southampton Way, London...
Just so. I posted hastily and over-confidently on evidence that would no doubt have been rejected out of hand by anyone intimate with Gillotts and Rotraxes.... I am a bad detective, and will butt out.. :)

Re: 1954 AS Gillott Frame?

Welcome aboard :)
Looks a nice made machine and I am sure it will slowly reveal it's history once those more knowledgeable on the marque get here :)
I take it that it rides nicely as you seem happy with it.
You can also start a thread about the machine in the 'Readers road bike' section and then add to it as you go along.
Look forward to hearing more about it anyway.

Jamie

Re: 1954 AS Gillott Frame?

Yeah, Mark is a good guy and very knowledgeable on Gillott's.
I was looking at one of his Gillott restorations hanging in Velocity café down in Inverness on the weekend. Small world ;)

Jamie

Back