Rock Shox Judy XC/FSX upgrade to 80mm, how?

Re:

Are the metal ones both rebound? I did have a NOS set of dampers, one rebound, the other compression but they got lost in the post. The bodies were red and silver though.

Re: Re:

ishaw":2y7tfnuj said:
Are the metal ones both rebound? I did have a NOS set of dampers, one rebound, the other compression but they got lost in the post. The bodies were red and silver though.
how does one tell??? the both look almost identical except for the decal on one and the slightly deeper shade of red for the metal body.

Re:

The damping resistance would be opposite I.e one should provide damping on the forks downward stroke, the other when it returns to full length, if of course they are not the same.

Re:

to me there seems to be resistance in both direction you push the rod. but i guess there should be a subtle difference?

finally all sorted out and now i have a pair of working FSX forks! :D

Left is shorter travel with Styff Shockbone canti brace and threaded steerer. Internals consist of single Risse GEM cartridge and I believe Speed springs.

Right is longer travel with Styff Shockbone V brace and alum steerer. Internals consist of dual red (DH?) Judy cartridges in both legs and NOS Kronos springs.

Both with proper titanium hardware except the crown bolts, which I'll be ordering. Oddly, the left fork lowers has a matte finish, and the right are glossy. Anyone got any info on the difference in finish?

Attachments

• FSX-3.jpg
    FSX-3.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 564
  • FSX-2.jpg
    FSX-2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 564
  • FSX-1.jpg
    FSX-1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 564
Re:

No idea on finish.
The dual red dampers, can you switch on to a black. As I thought the red were compression dampers and not rebound, so an upside down damper.
Then again I've not taken one apart, don't think I've had one.

Look good though :)

Re:

I'm going to comment here because this thread had a fair bit of action not too long ago...

...I'm trying to sort out if I need a neutral shaft to pair with a GEM damper I've got or if a DH rebound cart is what I need. My cart appears to move around 75mm and has a 222mm shaft length. I have a 210mm long neutral shaft that I assuem is for a 63mm fork and an alloy compression damper that moves about 63mm with a 197mm shaft that I believe to be for a 50/63mm fork. Those red alloy DH carts at 220mm are the closest thing I've found to my 222mm gem shaft. MOMBAT says the 1995 judy DH could be configured for 63mm or 75mm of travel... I'm thinkin' those red carts and my GEM are all 75mm.

Does anyone have any concrete measurements for shaft length and cartridge travel? There's one post out there on the mtbr forums that's been mentioned but it's old ad the numbers don't seem to add up the same.

Back