And today I did......

Re:

The varsity arrived this morning and boy is it a boat anchor and weird. Realistically I spent too much on it, I spent £40 in total :facepalm:

But and this is the really weird part, I still think its great and its just so me :LOL:

The forks are very strange, the fork blades are pretty much that, only 10mm thick at the widest point when seen from front on but over an inch wide from side on, heavy but rather cool looking. Front triangle Frame tubes are all about 1 inch diameter so very skinny and the result is a weird seat post of 21.1mm diameter. Quill stem is also 21.1mm and the huge Ashtabula BB shell with its one piece BMX style cranks make for a sturdy beast.

Paintwork is missing in chunks but is dark metallic red where it exists and there is a fair bit of surface rust. It needs some serious cosmetic work to look good which it is not getting as I cannot afford it.

So what am I going to do with it......well road biking will not be it. Even with a major weight loss program it would be unlikely to get below 30 lbs. Nope its getting the fixed gear treatment for my low speed on/off road forays around Midlothian or anywhere else I choose to take it such as the land of Epicyclo :D

I can see why the early mtb creators used them, they are very tough and have amazing tyre clearance. You can get 26" and 27.5" wheels with up to 2" width in front and back as well as up to 28 x 1.75" tyres front and back.

I have built it up with bullmoose bars, removed the outer chainring and coated the frame in boiled linseed oil to halt corrosion. It should be on the road/trail within the week. :cool:

Re: Re:

velomaniac":2idbw8f9 said:
The varsity arrived this morning and boy is it a boat anchor and weird. Realistically I spent too much on it, I spent £40 in total :facepalm:

But and this is the really weird part, I still think its great and its just so me :LOL:

The forks are very strange, the fork blades are pretty much that, only 10mm thick at the widest point when seen from front on but over an inch wide from side on, heavy but rather cool looking. Front triangle Frame tubes are all about 1 inch diameter so very skinny and the result is a weird seat post of 21.1mm diameter. Quill stem is also 21.1mm and the huge Ashtabula BB shell with its one piece BMX style cranks make for a sturdy beast.

Paintwork is missing in chunks but is dark metallic red where it exists and there is a fair bit of surface rust. It needs some serious cosmetic work to look good which it is not getting as I cannot afford it.

So what am I going to do with it......well road biking will not be it. Even with a major weight loss program it would be unlikely to get below 30 lbs. Nope its getting the fixed gear treatment for my low speed on/off road forays around Midlothian or anywhere else I choose to take it such as the land of Epicyclo :D

I can see why the early mtb creators used them, they are very tough and have amazing tyre clearance. You can get 26" and 27.5" wheels with up to 2" width in front and back as well as up to 28 x 1.75" tyres front and back.

I have built it up with bullmoose bars, removed the outer chainring and coated the frame in boiled linseed oil to halt corrosion. It should be on the road/trail within the week. :cool:
Have digital cameras reached your locale?

Re:

I find posting up pictures such a pain in the bum that usually I cannot be bothered especially as the bike in question has numerous pictures on the web if people want to look.

If a bike does not exist if it does not have a digital image then I have no bikes and the stuff in my head is just my madness :roll:

A cool, I have a neurosis as I can admit I have a problem as opposed to a psychosis where I do not know I have a problem. The small green mice say its not a problem either and can they set up their pink elephant sanctuary in my bathroom..........wooohahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Re:

After my abysmal performance at the off road Audax the other week some good news.
The tail end of this week the Doc upped one of my med, what a transformation. Today I did my mid week loop and was going like a train, I'm positive I've equalled my PB for this route. I've been feeling hellish at the least wee effort lately, imagine some body putting a knee on your solar plexus while your trying to breathe hard thats what its been like. At this point I'd better mention that I was on a lighter bike with narrower tyres. So today when I crested a climb rather than do a bit of light pedalling to recover I was changing up and pulling strong. I'm probably boring the tits off yous with this shite but I feel I've been taking backward steps lately in my recovery and trying to explain stuff like this to non cyclists would be a waste of time :?

As you were :facepalm:

Back