Revell Rapide ?

Re: Re:

chickendrumsticks":1kvrskm8 said:
Age wise - early to late eighties is about right for these. If it's loaded with Shimano bits, as I expect it will be, you can get an idea of their date of manufacture from the date code on each bit. So "bike date" will be within a few months after their dates - usually.

Shimano uses a two digit code to track the date of manufacture. The first letter is the year and the second digit will be the month (EI would be September of 1980). Generally, the code is fairly easy to spot but is usually on the "back side" of the part. See table in the pic.

Some of the Revell frames were actually made by some very good makers - e.g. Mercian, Dave Yates and so on. If there's a frame number (under bottom bracket?) this may help to decide this, if you are interested.

WoW thank you my friend that is very helpful :)

I pick the bike up on Friday and cant wait, However I did make a blunder the frame size is 23" and I am only 5.8",
got a feeling its a tad or big tad to big :-(

Re: Re:

chickendrumsticks":3tikxigs said:
Age wise - early to late eighties is about right for these. If it's loaded with Shimano bits, as I expect it will be, you can get an idea of their date of manufacture from the date code on each bit. So "bike date" will be within a few months after their dates - usually.

Shimano uses a two digit code to track the date of manufacture. The first letter is the year and the second digit will be the month (EI would be September of 1980). Generally, the code is fairly easy to spot but is usually on the "back side" of the part. See table in the pic.

Some of the Revell frames were actually made by some very good makers - e.g. Mercian, Dave Yates and so on. If there's a frame number (under bottom bracket?) this may help to decide this, if you are interested.

The front Derailleur has FD 6207 VLA ? , the table above suggests 1881, but someone said it was 1984 ?, picked up today great bike :)

inside of wheel rim says Wolber Gentleman 81Super champion ??

Any help appreciated.

Front changer is a Shimano 600EX then. Check out the Velobase site, it's a fab resource for identifying kit. "6207" applies to all the gear in the 600EX range. VLA doesn't work as a date code. It should be 2 letters only - look a bit closer. IIRC "VLA" appears on many of the Shimano bits. It's not a date code - a manufacturer's identification code or something.

Your Wolber rims can also be seen on the Velobase site.

Very new to this so I apologise for daft questions, if I wanted to upgrade the groupset for something from the same era , what would my options be, also if I wanted to change the rear Sprockets from 6 to 7 could it be done ?

Thanks again

Daft questions are good. Don't worry, most of us were asking them once!

"Upgrade" groupset? (BTW Groupset is a bit naff apparently, and Gruppo is pretentious, by all accounts - me, call it what you want...) Unless you know what you have you won't know whether your kit (I hope "kit" is OK!) needs upgrading. Inspect all items first of all to see what you have. Record any makers names/ models/model numbers and then take stock. As I said before, Velobase is an amazing resource for nailing down dates and types and has some fairly reliable indications of what people think of the kit (or group or groupset or gruppo).

As to expanding from 6 to 7 speed - yes it can be done - but again may depend on what you have. And why? Is 12 speed not enough? What's the range of ratios now? Can it be improved by moving to a seven speed? Probably, but only marginally. What do you plan to use the bike for?

Sorry, but questions only beget more questions. But keep on asking them.

chickendrumsticks":jo39gl9i said:
Daft questions are good. Don't worry, most of us were asking them once!

"Upgrade" groupset? (BTW Groupset is a bit naff apparently, and Gruppo is pretentious, by all accounts - me, call it what you want...) Unless you know what you have you won't know whether your kit (I hope "kit" is OK!) needs upgrading. Inspect all items first of all to see what you have. Record any makers names/ models/model numbers and then take stock. As I said before, Velobase is an amazing resource for nailing down dates and types and has some fairly reliable indications of what people think of the kit (or group or groupset or gruppo).

As to expanding from 6 to 7 speed - yes it can be done - but again may depend on what you have. And why? Is 12 speed not enough? What's the range of ratios now? Can it be improved by moving to a seven speed? Probably, but only marginally. What do you plan to use the bike for?

Sorry, but questions only beget more questions. But keep on asking them.

Excellent.

Many thanks :)

Back