Prophete bicycles?

Looks like a late 70s-early 80s cheap job to me....

Telltales are the suicide levers, single chainring, steel cottered cranks, matted alloy parts, pump fittings, spoke protector and plastic saddle.

Probably not worth anything to anyone to be honest...

cheers

other than some hideously rusty bars and mudguards and parcel rack
its in reasonably rideable condition

the sachs rear mech works alright and the brakes pull surprisingly well

however
the left crank arm slips on the axle of the bottom bracket, leading to a rather inefficent pedalling motion :D

fixable?

The frame does look quite retro and cool I reckon it would be a good fixed wheel candidate with the semi horizontal dropouts.

Puts on flame-proof underwear and runs for cover...

"Why do so many people in here think that any old tat is suitable for fixed-wheel conversion?"

"And why is it that road bikes comparable quality-wise to a Townsend MTB get a look-in, when the equivalent in mountain bikes don't`?"

Call me fussy. Call me a snob. Call me what you like. But surely there are standards that count for both types of bike....

Patrick_S":35s5inpi said:
the left crank arm slips on the axle of the bottom bracket, leading to a rather inefficent pedalling motion :D

fixable?

Yes but probably not worth it. It'll be the cotter pin that is worn. There are 2 sizes (maybe 3 IIRC).

Really, this bike will need so much work with so little reward, to make it half usable, that it's not worth the outlay.

regarding the issue of quality

i did not know about its level of quality
hence why i asked if anyone knew anything about it
if its lack of quality offends you so much
why bother replying?

I did not post saying "oh look at my lovely high quality fantastic new retro bike that you are all going to love looking at". I found a bike that I didnt know anything about, but knew was reasonably old, so asked about it in a place where people know about older bicycles.

and regarding the suitability of old "tat" for fixie conversions

i imagine its because many people would like to experiment and try out a fixed gear bike, but dont want to take the chance of converting an expensive bike in case they're not too keen. All a fixed gear bike needs is a frame with dropouts suitable for adjustable chain tension, and thats what this bike has.

this topic was a simple enquiry into the history of a bike.
nothing more. im dreadfully sorry it doesnt meet your "standards"

dbmtb":1u8jo5ty said:
Puts on flame-proof underwear and runs for cover...

"Why do so many people in here think that any old tat is suitable for fixed-wheel conversion?"

"And why is it that road bikes comparable quality-wise to a Townsend MTB get a look-in, when the equivalent in mountain bikes don't`?"

Call me fussy. Call me a snob. Call me what you like. But surely there are standards that count for both types of bike....

You fussy snob you.

Why do I think this is suitable for a fixed wheel project? Does it really matter what type of tubing is used for a commuter/hack bike? I reckon this could build up into a very cheap bike, I like the colour and the graphics ,very 70's and should look pretty good. Certainly in keeping with the fixed wheel craze.

Thats a personal opinion though, its just I just hate the current raft of modern fixed wheel trendies , pista's/langsters et al. The best looking ones are the old bikes given a new lease of life, as it should be(ie the standard)

Now thats my kind of bike, a skinny tubed, lugged, high tensile steel road bike of the 70's probably. Love the lug lining and metalic red to boot :D

I've single speeded a Triumph Tempest in the past to good effect and toured The Netherlands on a similar drop barred Raleigh. They are good solid and dependable bikes that make great workhorses.

I'm presently scouring skips in my local area for a bike of that type between 23" and 25" frame size to build up as a commuter/tourer. I Fancy doing Inverness to Edinburgh next year sometime health allowing.

Also looking out for a early to mid 1990's Townsend mtb, my first mtb was a Townsend Beartooth. So there Mr Tat bikes are not worth of this site :LOL:

kaiser":1tdzs1a0 said:
Why do I think this is suitable for a fixed wheel project? Does it really matter what type of tubing is used for a commuter/hack bike? I reckon this could build up into a very cheap bike, I like the colour and the graphics ,very 70's and should look pretty good. Certainly in keeping with the fixed wheel craze.

Thats a personal opinion though, its just I just hate the current raft of modern fixed wheel trendies , pista's/langsters et al. The best looking ones are the old bikes given a new lease of life, as it should be(ie the standard)

Modern fixies don't float my boat either....

Sure - it's a nice colour and it has lugs.... But that is as far as it goes.

1) Fork ends look like cheap pressed ones and are likely as not too mushy. Even for a hack bike.
2) The geometry on this will make a langster look like a shortster.
3) Brake clearances are probably to pot for any modern wheels.
4) Seatpin is probably rusted into seattube. BB is probably seized too.
5) The guy's going to have to spend more than the bike is worth to make it usable, unless he's already got the parts lying around.

Here's proof you don't need a fancy tubeset to make a fixie - this is Columbus Aelle which is next step up from gas pipes.
n672683081_1459726_3324.jpg

[/img]

Back