Suspension forks for Pace RC300

Deadbird

Dirt Disciple
I wonder if anyone who knows about Pace things can help me.

I have just bought an RC300 (the 16.5"C frame) with RC31 forks. This was the nearest I could get to fulfilling my boyhood dream of owning a mint sauce RC200, whilst still having disc brakes. I know the F8 had this feature, but this RC300 frame had the advantage of being on sale, in my size, and in perfect condition.

I'd like to find some suspension forks to replace the RC31s, preferably from the same-ish period and preferably Pace. But I will be using it and don't want to buy something that looks good but doesn't work. So some questions:

How much travel can the frame take? I'm thinking 80-100mm? I don't have the frame manual and don't want to risk cracking the headtube by using a fork that's too long.

Is there anything I need to look out for when buying old Pace suspension forks? I'm aware that PACE offers a complete service but I'm not sure what can be fixed and what can't, i.e. can they replace worn stanchions? Is there anyone else that can do complete fork refurbs?

I'm thinking something like RC36 Stealths if I can find any, unless anyone can suggest anything else.

thanks!

Re:

I ran mine with rc38 Air Force 2 forks. They're short travel, 63mm I think. It had some f80 forks on when I bought it and I wouldn't have gone any longer than those.

Re:

So 80mm max?

That means I'm prob looking for a set of RC39 xc forks - I think all the other RC39s and 40s were 100mm+.

Re:

If you Google pace rc300 and checking k out the images, you'll see a fair few with various forks that may help you with your decision (or if you are like me, add to your indecision).

If you decide to go down the rc38 air force 2 route, I have an absolute mint set I'm not using. The only issue they have is a slight air leak which is easily fixed. I've got the kit to do it, just haven't got a build for the forks anymore so just not got around to it.

In addition to pace, an ex employee and forum member on here justbackdated services pace forks (Fork English), so whatever fork you decide upon, you should be able to get it serviced/keep it running.

Thanks. I got hold of a copy of the RC300 manual which is silent on the issue. I then contacted Pace who said 100mm.

Ishaw: I'm going to try and find some forks that are bit longer than the Air Force 2s but if I fail to find any in the near future I may well be in touch!

You made the right choice. I wish I'd never sold this -

36251333061_3feba762b0_c.jpg

Latest posts

Back