another white kona...(update page 2)

well the project is coming along nicely. i think i have all the parts needed to get this built. a change of direction on the front hub is going to mean another rebuild on the wheel but hey ho, it'll be worth it in the end.

i finished the restoration on my cook bros rsr cranks last night and they look amazing. i am so excited to get this built and ridden.

pics coming soon people

couple of pictures of the cranks and pedals....

x1haqd.jpg

309tq1u.jpg

i am really pleased with how they have turned out!

sunchaser":2ck8520l said:
Those Cooks cranks look ace, what did you do to them..?

hi i rubbed them down with 400 then 600 wet and dry to within an inch of their lives. there were a few chips in them sadly so i used a really small amount of car body filler, thinned with cellulose thinners and rubbed them smooth. this left me with only 1 option to finnish them off and that was paint. would have loved to have them annodised but for one its expensive, and for 2 i would have had to anodise without the filler and they would have looked a mess.

there are about 5 coats of primer then 10 coats of gloss black on there. very thin coats and rubbed down with 1000 grit between coats.

i actually painted them a month ago so the paint is nice and tough now.

the text was applied using a stencil supplied by gil_m, for which i am very greatful.

and to chris, i'll ride it as soon as i can

Gonna look very similar to mine,like it mate :cool: .Hope that all your hard work on the cranks wont be ruined by chips,the only problem with painting layers on ally is when it goes it comes off in big chunks :(

i was hoping you'd never see this bike, it is going to be pretty similar to yours! in my defence - 1. it was painted before i had even set eyes on a white kona! and 2. the component mix is pretty much my wish list from when i was a kid!

i apreciate your col=mments ref the cranks. the first layer is etch primer so the paint should adhere reasonably well. they will look bad quicker than anodised cranks though. as soon as i find some which i can polish (which i can afford) then they will be changed.

thanks for your comments! i just hope you believe that this isnt just a poor replica of your bike!

well here is a little update. it has deviated off course slightly and is not quite period perfect thanks to the stem but hey ho.

brakes have been a problem too. i really didnt want to run v's as the bike came with cantis from new. tim (justbackdated) came to the rescue with a new brace for the rc36's which allow the use of canti brakes. the only draw backs are that the brakes have to go round the front and it doesnt look very pretty compared to the lovely carbon braces fitted from factory. something had to give and i have suprised myself and fitted v's. this willl be the first time i have ever used v brakes!

the brakes fitted are now old stock stx rc. not exotic in the slightest but i have always liked the finnish of stx rc, it is period correct (the idea of the project was to keep it all pre 97) and it gets the bike finished. when i say finished, if ever i find anything better for the job they will get swapped!

i was unsure of cables too. i thought white might look a bit tacky on a white frame but black would stand out too much. i went for white and i think it fits ok. it certainly breaks up the black of the cockpit.

i now have to sort a black syncros seatpost and slap on my flite and its there/ booked in for a photoshoot next weekend!

here it is at the minute...

152km5w.jpg

Back