Robert Millar = Philippa York.

roadking

Senior Retro Guru
Robert Millar was one of my many heroes of the last golden age (1980s) of cycling; TdeF KoM, winner...notwithstanding his other victories and high placings.

Rode on the continent when it took a great deal of courage and determination. Courage and determination that RM has now spoken openly about his gender change: known as Philippa York and she will be one of the pundits on ITV4s coverage of the remaining weeks of the TdeF.

I wish Philippa the very best of luck, and success. I look forward to her insights on the 2017 TdeF (and hopefully years to come).

Roadking.

Again wish her all the best with all the future brings.
Seems to me that over the last few years she was a bit of a troubled soul, so hopefully now in a place where she wants to be and is happy.

Jamie

Re:

I've nothing but respect and admiration for Philippa's announcement. A true pioneer in breaking European-born continental domination, it was (and still remains) an indelible magic memory seing that 1984 KOtM jersey winging it around Kellogs'/C4's Glasgow Square. Truly inspirational. As for the Vuelta, well... :shock: .

Millar's posts in Cycling News imo are top-quality in-depth and highly insightful informed journalism and best luck in your futured career.

if you are born a male, you will always be a male, no amount of surgery will change the fact.
he will always be a he.
if someone can prove me wrong then go ahead.

videojetman":jkj4bxkk said:
if you are born a male, you will always be a male, no amount of surgery will change the fact.
he will always be a he.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

tintin40":2uj4xln0 said:
videojetman":2uj4xln0 said:
he will always be a he.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

I think you are confusing sex and gender.

Re:

The mind is completely different from the body. Imagine being female in your mind but the body tells you otherwise - how AWFUL for him and especially in his day where there was no help or understanding for his situation.

In spite of being a fellow Scot, I never much cared for Robert Millar, weird, awkward, dour etc he was. I always thought that there was a reason for his behaviour, can now see why and I have absolute sympathy for him. I really hope that the rest of his days are far happier than those in his former life as one hell of a bike rider.

Best of luck to her.

Back