1988 Saracen Kili...Started

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
With all the amazing exotica on here today, this perhaps will go unnoticed but I need to cheer myself up a bit so have started the build. The frame seems to have been made in 1988 but was sold as a 1989 model. A mate of mine had one back then but a similar bike was out of my league. My interest in Saracen had started though and a year or two later I had my own Kili Flier Comp, the Racing Green one with the full XTII groupset. I still have that bike and when I saw CTK was selling this one I thought why not!

The forks have been lost in the mists of time and these are actually Specialized Direct Drive from, I think, an early 90s Rumpcruncher Comp the pink one. I had the paint matched (I have the RAL Number if anyone needs it) and sprayed them myself. (Thanks to the wife for not killing me when she found them in the oven). I have a spare set in case these have a steerer that is a fraction short.

I took two Flexstems apart and resprayed the tatty old one to match the frame. Stew-b supplied a very nice cup and cone XT BB the tools for which I luckily had kept!

Thanks to all who have helped with parts and advice.

More photographs as progress is made....

Attachments

• F & F.jpg
    F & F.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 2,104
  • Flexstem.jpg
    Flexstem.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 2,104
  • XT BB.jpg
    XT BB.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2,104
Yes! works for me mate, tahts where its at, what a colour :cool: love the matching flex stem, gots me thinking...

Winner :idea: :cool: if the build is as pretty i'll be super impressed

I is looking forward to watching this one develop. Lovin the colour. The old Saracens are proper great frames. :cool:

Iwasgoodonce":2ipd0dsw said:
With all the amazing exotica on here today, this perhaps will go unnoticed .

dude, get the steve potts working! thats exotica, espically in the UK ;)

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm not sure about a car match, but it is certainly bright! I thought about getting it powder coated along with the forks in a different colour but the female half of the twins went mad and refused to speak until I promised to keep the pink/purple! Six year old girls don't negotiate!!
Scant, I will get the Potts done when I find a new job! I had started to accumulate parts for it but realised I was a bit out in age. They are lovely bits though and suit this frame a lot better.

Polished XT cranks are on along with old XT rear and barely used DX front mechs. Pics to follow...

Iwasgoodonce":2r3z7t49 said:
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm not sure about a car match, but it is certainly bright! I thought about getting it powder coated along with the forks in a different colour but the female half of the twins went mad and refused to speak until I promised to keep the pink/purple! Six year old girls don't negotiate!!
Scant, I will get the Potts done when I find a new job! I had started to accumulate parts for it but realised I was a bit out in age. They are lovely bits though and suit this frame a lot better.

Polished XT cranks are on along with old XT rear and barely used DX front mechs. Pics to follow...

potts are fairly timeless, dont worry about age so much.. better yet PM me with the intended parts list ;)

Back