26" rim brake wheel options

DannyB

Dirt Disciple
Just acquired a early Inbred frame which I was going to add a disc brake mount but I'm thinking I might just keep it V Brake and retro.

Are they any decent budget ( under £100 ) wheel sets still available that will cope with xc riding or should I be looking used?

I have a set of spiffing bontrager Camino disc or rim brake wheels you could have for less than half that, delivered to your door.

Lightly used.

Re:

Build your own, it is seriously easy - you can always get a bike shop to do the final tension but to be honest you could do just as good a job but may take longer.

Rose bikes have great prices on spokes and hubs.

Re:

I'll second the above. Built a few myself and the last couple turned out very nicely and I didn't need to get the lbs to finish them off.

I've had a few bad experiences with wheel builds done by professionals at shops which derive me to doing it myself.

The last couple of wheels that went to a shop to be built by them had awful tension, and they also managed to crack a new 217 sunset rim. I didn't spot at the time, gutted as I fitted the wheel, tucked the bike away and didn't use it for 2 years. Blew the dust off a few weeks ago and found 2 cracks at the eyelets. Grrrr. None of the wheels I've built myself have cracked, ovalised, tacoed or done anything other than roll trouble free.

If you do take a stab at this, make sure you keep the rim round, as it's a pain to correct.

As above, can supply a used set to fit any budget, but new might be tricky if you are aiming for a period / retro build, old new parts are ££££

Back