Should the forum have a General & off topic chat section?

Should the forum have a General and off topic chat section

• Yes

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KDM

Senior Retro Guru
From time to time in most forums, some may say the off topic section spoils the reason for the forum itself, some maybe right and most will be wrong

The problems these sections have is often they become very spirited and some members are unable to control themselves where as most can and be enthused by their point of view. Facts and figures always help a bit but some ignore those for pure emotion.

Myself, if it is something I have no interest in, I don't go in. If a particular member gets on my tits then I either use ignore or simply don't go into the thread or do not reply to that member. Some however use shutdown politics and go into a thread just to shut it down because they do not like it and often deliberately trolling just to get the thread shut down by the mods, recent discussions show these people quite clearly

The rise in the last part is down largely down to people who can't control themselves and take personal responsibility for their own inability to walk away so go into a thread, wind themselves up and them blame everyone else

So my own advice would be to use ignore or don't go into the thread you personally are not comfortable with. The other thing is constantly these same people seek to remove off topic sections by saying such silly things as google will portray us as baddies, again echo chamber politics by those who do not like others to have different views than them

So the obvious thing is to ask anyone should they wish to, vote to keep the General and off topic section or lose it. It's not binding of course but more of a generalisation of opinion that from time to time may help. I've set it up for 7 days with the results being shown at the end. Comments are always welcome

highlandsflyer":20j6zbsv said:
Given how slow things are on here these days, you might not get a particularly representative result in seven days.

I think you may, as there is a lot of off topic discussion here atm, given recent news. I have commented on several political threads on here since brexit, but having taken a look at the thread on that dreadful fire in London, and having read some of the contributors thoughts, I have to just go back to bike related threads. It restores my faith in humanity.

Even more so, having just had a great weekend of mtb riding, with other retrobikers. It's the reason I joined here after all.

Mike

Another forum I use alters the permissions so the general and off topic chat part, cannot be seen by non members and therefore the latest topic answers/replies that come up on the right of the mainpage at the top, do not show GOTP comments at all

No it shouldn't have. it should be a cycling related off topic. Such as cycling road rage incidents in the news, Cycling ruling body news which are subjects not really covered in over areas.

I say keep the off topic section. Maybe start a section for contentious issues.
Some members seem to make harmless respectful threads into their own sounding platforms.

It should be there (the section), I would like it if people didn't talk pointless bollocks about religions, politics and basically go into debating whatnot unless it's linked to cycling (even better if old rusty cycling).
The odd can you help me with this or I have a computer problem or which watch or RC car should I buy seems fine, just as that friendly banter.

But that's up to the mods and admins to just shut them down and run it as they wish, if they wish.

So I vote the middle ground option.

Yes but no religion or politics or anything that people might have a view not like mine is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back