Bontrager singlespeed....is there a " golden ratio?

Agency_Scum

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Getting another Bonty soon but this one's for singlespeeding. Before I sell a kidney to buy an Eno eccentric hub or send it off to the surgeons at Argos for track mounts is there a chainwheel/cassette gear/half-link/goat sacrifice combination I can bodge to make everything run lush whilst retaining the original KB steel art?
Thanks in advance and Happy Trails................Mark

KB sspd style

Not a great deal of help but KB wrote an article all about it once sspd'ing Bonty's...although from what recall a rear mech was made use of, and then the article got very keen on 2 speeds etc.

Magic Ratio

I down loaded a programme called ssConvert from

http://www.teambigtime.com/software/ssConvert.htm

But it doesn't seem to be working at the moment. There should be other programmes that do the same thing though.
If you want, measure the length of your chainstay in inches (hub to centre of BB), and i'll post the results. I could even email the programme to you if you want, though it is 1.93MB, so unless you have a fast connection, it may be a slow download.

It seems to work pretty well, on my old Litespeed, it has a 16.75" chainstay and it recomends running a 34:16, which is sort of loose, but still work fine.

Just in case anyone else is watching, someone on the MTBR Retro forum was running 36/18 without a tensioner or half link, and posted photographic evidence to prove so :D

Magic Ratio

Ok I found a conversion table – it shows 425mm = 16.73225 inch,
ssConvert gave the following results, the ‘T’ and ‘L’ after the ratios means that it will be a Tight fit or a Loose fit. These are for chains without a Half Link, with Half Links there are even more ratios. ssConvert also gives you the ratio, gear inch, and speed at 60 and 120 rpm.

34 x 15 L
36 x 14 T
36 x 17 L
38 x 16 T
38 x 19 L
40 x 18 T
42 x 20 T
46 x 14 L
48 x 16 T
50 x 18 T
52 x 20 T

LQQK, nice one.

Program hosted here for anyone interested. No idea if it's freeware, shareware or something else. If there some reason for me not to host it just give me a shout....

SS Bonty

LQQK,
I owe you a beer.
Rutteger,
can't get that program to fly on me Apple but cheers for the effort dude.

Back