80's Muddy Fox, Help Please.

Right, I've got some beter pics in my album now.

I need some help. Date? Model? Original spec?

Anyone with similar bikes?

Helpful web links?

I've actually grown quite fond of the old fox, and am considering a full refurbishment. Seems fairly original, but I think both mechs are cheap replacements (shimano). The old owner is going to look in the shed for originals. The shifters are Suntour. Brakes are Dia-Compe. Bars have Muddy Fox engraved twice, vertically near the clamp. It has obviously been badly painted over the original metalic white. I phoned Argos who quoted me around £140 for paint and decals etc, but can anyone recommend a North East firm. If I get this bike back to it's best, I can get rid of the nasty Scott hybrid which I take my son to school on.

I will really appreciate your imput and general thoughts on the bike.

Not all 87 MF's had u-brakes - my Courier had canti's front and rear and the 88 Courier had a U- brake.

That looks to me like a 1987 Courier that's had a respray. The 86 Courier had risers not flats and non index XC5000 Suntour Shifters and thos look like my XC5000 index's from '87 when they also had flat bars. Looks like orig saddle and grips too. Those are the same Dia Compe's as the 87 Courier too, but then the only difference between the 86 and 87 Courier was the indexing of gears and the flattening of bars to my recollection.

Cheers Wu,

I'm pretty sure the front shifter is non-indexed, while the rear can be switched between indexed and non, by turning the metal loop on top.

The frame seems to be all white under the spray, and dosen't have the pink/purple fade at the front.

all pointing to an 87 courier then. They were plain pearlescent white with the jamjar labels that yours has on top of the green. The shifters did indeed switch between index and not (rear only as you say) with that littl loop on the top, you undid it and then lifted slightly and turned that slightly gnarled light grey plastic lip a quarter turn or something. Was quite handy when your gears came out of alignment.

I may well be wrong, but it looks like a 21 and a half inch '87 Courier to me. They only came in 19 and a half and 23 in other than that. And the Purple was the '88 when they went u-brake and (not absolutely sure but think XCD6000 drivetrain with more pronounced shifters and nicer brake levers.

hope this helps. I've got an original ad at home, will try and scan it if you like

Wu, it all seems to be comming together. The scan would be great, thanks.

The decals have been painted around (would you believe it) and are original. Do you know if it had 'courier' on the top tube?

The 23" must have been massive, I'm 6'4" and only have a couple of inches standover bo11ock clearance.

can you remove the paint and leave the origonal untouched
or has it been done well .try a bit out of sight first try some acetone
if it's just been rattle canned it might lift without to much trouble
but watch the decals tho.
mike

I think the green paint probably would come off, but the original looks a bit knackered with visible chips. Also, someone has sanded one of he seatstays doen to metal.

The only way to get it decent will be to get it painted. There is a bloke I know who restores Lambrettas, he says he can arrange paint & decals. Do you think the paint will be upto the job? Failing that I think I'll ask around for a local company.

like a lot of things is he "good" at restoring lambrettas
he should know if his paint is any good, i imagine it will be more than adequate for an mtb (but don't quote me)
mike

Remember also that bikes are released before their model year - especially if you're looking at old catalogues. Bikes in the '88 catalogue would have been on sale from around September of '87.

I bought my Ozark in late September '87 and the Courier I compared it with definitely had a U-brake.

Terry...

Back