1992 Nishiki Alien SP

yakboy

Manitou Fan
Well the Nishiki is now in a fit state to be shown so here goes....

Back in the late 80's and early 90's I always lusted after elevated chainstay bikes and loved reading about all the weird and wonderful bikes and forks in MBUK, but as a poor student I had to wait 5 years until I graduated to get my first mountain bike in 1993 (A Scott Superlite but that's a tale for another time). Well over the past few years I have been building a few of the bikes I lusted after in my youth and the first on my list was a Nishiki Alien SP which combined 3 of my lustings, Aluminium, square tubes and elevated chainstay.

I purchased the frame about 4 years ago from a member on here like this.

33315853424_16eba33730.jpg

This is the original photo from the for sale post. I only purchased the frame. It had had the inevitable nishiki cracked head tube and seat tube, but these had been professionally repaired. There is a little bump on the headtube but as you will see it's hardly noticeable.

I wanted some AMP forks to go with it so got some F1's with rusty chrome legs and after a frame builder friend had cut off the canti-mounts and put on magura 4 bolt mounts I had it powdercoated to match the bike.

I hope you like it, some components are not year correct but I couldn't resist. The seatpost is a carbon monolink post which came with one of my modern full suss bikes and was surplus but I think the monolink saddle mount suits the weirdness of the nishiki

34027663841_582184d352_b.jpg
[/url]

33773568240_085cdd7702_b.jpg

34001092402_dddc249165_b.jpg

34001049942_67b9b0c9f1_b.jpg

34001063122_9335443059_b.jpg

34117386366_01d1b33e18_b.jpg

34001042902_5b71403c9e_b.jpg

I know it's got a lot of ano bling on it but for a first build I wanted to fulfil my early nineties ano lust..my subsequent builds are a bit more subtle..

Component List.

Frame: Nishiki Alien SP 1992
Hubs: Shimano parallax hubs (Rear Hub original to me from a bike that was stolen leaving the rear wheel in 1995).
Rims: 36 H Ambrosio Frog red ano rims NOS. Front laced radially (again fulfilling a fantasy)
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke and Dart reissue
Crank: White brothers with Suigno Chainrings
Cassette: 7 speed 11-28
Front Fork: AMP F1
Headset: Onza Mongo Aheadset
Stem: Nishiki (modern)
Bars: Ritchey Comp
Grips: Ritchey
Rear Derailleur: Shimano M735
Front Derailleur: Shimano M735
Brakes: Magura HS33 Red (Not Tomac's unfortunately)
Decals: Courtesy of Gil
Bottle cage: My original Ringle H20 (bought in 1993 in freetown sports)..Wonderfully re-anodised by rampage
Shifters: DX Thumbies (I wanted these over XT's for the silver caps)

Re:

Nice build, and it can handle the ano bling. Without it greyish clours can get dull, the red ballances it quite nicely if you ask me. My next project wil be a Alpinestars cromega, I love estays!

Interested in hearing more about the brake mount mod.
Looks great, saves some parts, and I guess also gives better brake performance?
Is this something you've seen elsewhere or your own idea?

At first the mish mash of parts shouldn't work but when you see the finished article, it seems like it should not have been any other way. I quite like that.

mtbmaniac":luw7o101 said:
Interested in hearing more about the brake mount mod.
Looks great, saves some parts, and I guess also gives better brake performance?
Is this something you've seen elsewhere or your own idea?
Trials frames tend to have 4 bolt magura mounts and they look so much cleaner and as the AMP F1 has steel legs and I was going to repaint them I thought it would look a lot neater

KDM":30duencp said:
At first the mish mash of parts shouldn't work but when you see the finished article, it seems like it should not have been any other way. I quite like that.
It's not one for the purists that's for sure! But all the major components are year correct and this was a fantasy bike so I figured I could get away with it. My next builds are a little more part conservative.

Back