Gerrard road bike?

Ziggy

Senior Retro Guru
Now I'm well aware that this is a long shot, but got to be worth a try!

Basically, my old man's Gerrard road bike has been hung from the rafters in the garage for years, waiting for me to do something about it... I've decided I've got to get it going soon, mainly 'cos it's a lovely thing & I don't have another road bike. But does anyone know anything about em?

From what I remember, Dad said it was from a local bike shop (/race team?) that went under when the owner (said Mr Gerrard I assume) got caught doing something naughty & spent some time behind bars. This'd have been somewhere in the East London area, & probably somewhere around 1970. I could be way out on any or all of these details, so I apologise profusely to Mr Gerrard if it turns out he wasn't a bad chap at all! Sadly, I've got no way of checking up on my 'facts'.

The bike itself's a nice looking frame, with mainly campag bits etc that I understand to have been pretty top notch at the time... I'll get some pics when I get it down.

So does this ring any bells for anyone? Like I said, I don't rate my chances, but a bit of a discussion'll get my interest up again & get the resto started!

Cheers :)

Ok, so it was Ted Gerrard, of 63 Woodhouse Road, London N12!

dsc00522xx1.jpg

Looks a bit of a state doesn't it :shock:

dsc00521hd0.jpg

dsc00524vi6.jpg

dsc00523ju9.jpg

dsc00525gy0.jpg

dsc00526vk9.jpg

dsc00528lr9.jpg

dsc00529sx7.jpg

dsc00527cz9.jpg

:LOL:
Ta! No info as yet on any bikes he made though!

The annoying part is that it obviously needs re-painting & it'll never be the same... May just have to leave the headtube as it is though!
& all the chrome's knackered, anyone know what re-plating costs?! :shock:

Right, get the stickers well photographed from all angles.
Work on about £30 per part tube for plating.
Argos price list is online www.argoscycles.com
You will need lug lining and box lining on a frame of that age because it is the nuts!
The stickers could be remade. I agree the bike should be preserved, but you have to break some eggs! :LOL: Love to see it finished, good luck!

Ta! :)

First step is to get it down, get some air in the tyres & check I can actually ride it... I'm sure I did years ago, but it still looks big!

Then I guess I'll strip it down & see what actually needs doing... It was still rideable when it was hung up there (built him an MTB so he never used it...) so some of it'll just need a blimmin good clean!

I know a guy who'll be able to make me some stickers... it's actually hand painted at the mo though I think! As for the paint itself, would I be crazy to have a go myself?! I've not done a frame before, but I've done plenty in the way of car panels etc, as well as some pretty intricate stuff on RC car shells... :? & if it looks $hite I've not lost anything other than time & paint...

Give it a go, you've nothing to lose but the cost of the paint.

Make sure you prep properly, either key it in all over if the paint's decent, or strip it totally (using nitromore or similar) if it's really awful.

Primer, topcoats (applied gradually to avoid runs), flat back, laquer, wait for it to harden properly, t-cut and wax. Job done.

I've just finished a Schauff re-furb (as opposed to a resto, it's not the original colour, no decals). Did it in British Racing Green as an ironic statement on a German frame :)

If I can do it, anyone can.

BTW, if you want to tackle some of the chrome, wire wool the part after lubing it with WD40, brings most things back to a reasonable standard as long as they're not too far gone.

Attachments

• HPIM0623.JPG
    HPIM0623.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 3,016
  • HPIM0588.JPG
    HPIM0588.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 3,016
That's some good work! Fairly confident I'll be able to do a good job, but we'll see I guess :)

Hopefully I'll have some time to get started over Christmas, but I wouldn't recommend any holding of breath... Think I'll do (or at least start!) the Saracen first anyway - that should require a hell of a lot less time!

Cheers :cool:

Back