KHS Montana Pro 1990

Well, it has been a while. This was supposed to be my second project as my 93 Montana Pro to Team was #1 but that one stalled due to me changing direction on paint and the shop I wanted to use then not wanting to use this new paint...

So back to the Dayglo one. I'd got all the components and assorted bits pretty much collected but I started a new job in September and found I have less spare time than previously. Standard aparrently.. I wanted this bike built and someone I'd met through Retrobike was offered the short straw of building it. They accepted and said only on the condition that I didn't ask for updates on a weekly basis. Sounded fair to me so I gave them the bits in November IIRC then left them to it. I got the call in February or March to say it was done. I'd asked them to take me pics so I could then document where it came from and how it ended up as this spec on here as this thread. So now I need to write lots more describing things in pics...

Bring on the pics

James

Pics of disassembly.

The headset turned smoothly but the BB had a notch in it but was pretty smooth otherwise. It appeared not to have been apart in recent years.

Still can't believe this was so smooth;

Stripped frame

Next up is cleaning all the parts

Re:

Inglewood, always up to no good.. ;)
In this case however, the opposite is true: liking this one a lot :cool: !

Nice to get an idea of the actual color where the fd was at :D .
I'd keep it as original as possible!

Re:

Total guess but maybe that decal isn't Tange Infinity. It seems a bit low grade for a fairly high end bike and wouldn't Tange put their name on the decal?

Could it be a kind of butting that is gradual rather than "single" or "double" etc ?

Re: Re:

jaypee":3lkswthd said:
Total guess but maybe that decal isn't Tange Infinity. It seems a bit low grade for a fairly high end bike and wouldn't Tange put their name on the decal?

The decal definately says Infinity and the 89 Catalogue I bought says : "Montana Pro. Tange MTB butted tubing, a tapered chromoly fork with forged dropouts and an oversized sealed mechanism headset make the Montana Pro an exceptionally strong bicycle. Ritchey Megabite Tires mounted on Vantage Comp alloy rims transmit power to the ground under any riding conditions." . This frame is from summer 90 so may not be of the same spec as the 89 models but is the same colour and description.....

So where I'm at is that it's a badly advertised/marketed Tange Infinity. The Montana Team for that year is described as having "Ultralight Ritchey designed Prestige tubing". Strange there is no mention of it being Tange Prestige. No other MTB's have their tubes described so this is what it is.

And yes, I've emailed the MTB pages of this 89 catalogue so they should be added to the RetroBike catalogue archive once I send in the pics of the pages with racers, beach cruisers and casual clothing.

Cheers

James

Cleaning the parts Part 1:

some components had unwanted patina

Which can be removed :)

I do want one of these baths:

Chainset looking cleaner and back together now

So much cleaner

Cheers

James

Other bits were taken to pieces

And given a good clean

And some got a really good clean and polish

And some were greased

Some met a new friend

Some were polished Pt 1

Some were polished

Some really needed a polish

And got it

Some were polished Pt 4

I still want one of these:

Because parts look like this afterwards

Next up, the build (finally!)

I have a KHS Montana Pro frame just like the one you have pictured, but larger if you're interested in it. It measures 20" from the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube.

Back