Not a BMX but.....

Catho

Retro Newbie
Hi guys, hope this is okay to post in the BMX section, not a BMX but my Raleigh Grifter I restored from a rusty run down wreck a couple of years ago.

Cheers, Mark (Catho)

I lurk on the pre 98 MTB section normally but thought I'd say a big well done, what a transformation :)

Had a red one of these as a kid, hard as nails and the heaviest bike on the planet!
Well done buddy.

Thanks Minifreak, much appreciated.

A bit different to how it was when I picked it up.....

(and STILL the heaviest bike on the planet even now I'm 40 years old!!)

There was a July 1976 for sale on a Facebook page a few months back, I'd really have liked that as that was the year and month I was born but it was a bit pricey and needed work so I'll stick to the '78 (Aug).

I had the metallic red one for christmas 78, rode it for years till i got a bmx. Picked up a survivor (long mudguard version) from leeds a few years back, all it needed was tyres, tubes, replace the seat for a better one and wheels. Felt great on the first test ride.

80's kid":1k75k5vl said:
I had the metallic red one for christmas 78, rode it for years till i got a bmx. Picked up a survivor (long mudguard version) from leeds a few years back, all it needed was tyres, tubes, replace the seat for a better one and wheels. Felt great on the first test ride.

I never had the Grifter, I had a Strika in 1982 when I was 6 but when I was old enough to progress to the Grifter in 1984 BMX's were all the rage so I had one of them.

I always remember the Grifter being the 'must have' bike (The Chopper was a few years before my time) so I wanted one to relive my childhood and own a Grifter, also I restored an old Vauxhall Carlton Gsi3000 which I take to classic and retro car shows in the summer so the Grifter looks good stood with the car.

Back