Retrobikers Awayday at the London Cycle Show -*PICS ADDED*

Oh well, looks like I miss all the fun

Myself and group of "retro"bates will be down to the show on Friday and staying in Paddinton Saturday night . Then a bike shop/pub crawl/site seeing tour Saturday in town.

Back on the train Saturday evening with the footballing masses :roll:

Re: .

mrkawasaki":39bd7is0 said:
I'm going to do the Rapha rideout from EC on Saturday morning - I guess I will catch up with you guys around lunchtime.

http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=575

Mr K

aren't they going the wrong way?

Wouldn't it make more sense to go from RP to EC? before going to the show?

ANd Gil, make your site seeing on the fri and be free to go to the show sat. T

There everyone's sorted. that was easy.

Bike show

Im going on the Sunday now cos I got given free tickets. My best mates riding for KTM next year and he says their bikes are amazing, I cant wait to see them. My Scott might be my new training bike!

She was lovely wasn't she? :shock: - she asked me (in all her revealing beauty) if I would like to win a trip to Germany? - I replied 'Maybe later, but can you help me with some tyre questions?"

Her: [walking over to the Conti rep-man who was busy inflating tyres] "Hmmm....John - when you've finished *pumping*, can you help this gentleman..."

:LOL: :shock: :LOL: :oops:

Anyway, thought the show was fantastic just as last year - more interest in all the lovely fixed/track/steel/lugged renaissance for me though. As mid-end Road and MTB goes ever more high-tech and carbon-mad the return to simple but beautifully made classic bikes fills me with joy.

The other thing that struck me was the branding and PR budgets the companies are going with - a huge step-up from previous years. Some of the catalogues and lifestyle 'info-mags' were ridiculously heavy, glossy and expensive. Good giveaways too - nice Shimano Saint hat, Pashley musette, Magura bags, Hope CNC keyrings and enough free lube, water bottles and pens for another year...

:)

Show Time

Show recollections - quite a busy throng on Saturday afternoon, after I had valiantly attempted to stay with the Rapha-organised breakfast run to and around Richmond Park. A brief chat with a Rapha chappy about MTB-wear came to nought as he pointed to the Rapha strap line 'Performance Roadwear'. Fair do's for sticking resolutely to their goals, however I think there is a relevant angle in marrying the Geoff Apps-type story with a range of decent gentlemans' offroad kit. Coffee and pastries were freely available from their cute H-van, then it was back through a sunny 21 degrees London village to Earls Court.

Met up with Gus and Sarah, guiltily caught stroking Dia Compe's new anodised kit and wandered aimlessly around looking for anything remotely retro - of which there was little. No doubt a Retrobike Show stand would go down a storm here.

KTM are going for it in a BIG way - all their bikes looked too spangly for my tastes and seemed expensive too.

Urban cash is slewing the market somewhat - fixies abounds in the bike park (outnumbering every other style 3:1, including small wheeled commuter shite), despite their supposed anti-establishment stance. That's the trouble with a passion for aesthetics - you need to mix with the people you are trying to not-be-like to show it off too!

Some random pics below.

Mr K

Attachments

• Meerkat Voyeurism.jpg
    Meerkat Voyeurism.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,241
  • New Indy fetishist.jpg
    New Indy fetishist.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,241
  • Rasta is back.jpg
    Rasta is back.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,241