winter commuting

It's a jungle out there!

I've recently readied my musty Cannondale for afterdark commuting duties (evening course twice a week). Pannier is a must to stop the dreaded sweaty back; tried to balance off visibility with stealth/perceived 'crapness' - to avoid attracting attention when chained up. I carry two locks, removeable lights and have bolted the seat post and wheels. Definitely need a loud bell or horn to alert jaywalkers on phones/ipods! Otherwise, so far - so good, we'll see!

Mr K

Attachments

• 84 Cannondale Commuter 1.jpg
    84 Cannondale Commuter 1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,294
cce":2qxua9ew said:
decided that when i move back closer to the office i'm going to start commuting to work by bike again

it's about 10 miles to the office across mixed roads (A and B, with some town) - we have showers.

think i'll need a slightly less pretty bike to do it on.

my basic plan was to take the car one day a week to drop clothes, lunch materials etc into the office.

any tips? gear recommendations? bearing in mind i'm doing this cos i'm poor as a church mouse atm

Same distance as me and that's what I was going to do, 1 day car trip to stock up my locker, 3 days riding(only work 4 but 10 hour shifts).
Looking at the tips, I think I'm nearly sorted, just got to change my tyres to slicks.
Was wondering if it's worth changing my forks to rigid(I have a set ready to fit). Are there any benefits over suss on relitavely new and smooth roads?

I ride 12miles each way all year.

My top tips:
- Get a routine, you will forget stuff or faff for ages otherwise
- I have locker and showers. Leave trousers/shoes at work. Take in shirt/socks/pants each day.
- Put clothes in a bin bag inside rucksack - you really don't want wet clothes to start!
- Overshoes are the saviour to cold feet. Even the Aldidl neoprene make a huuuge difference (and stop your shoes getting soaked for the journey home)
- I rarely use a waterproof unless its lashing down. Even event makes you sweat if you ride hard
- Get some windproof gloves..mmmm toasty
- Earband/skullcap dead useful
- Two front and rear lights. Better to be seen and have some redundancy
- Black hi-viz stuff - stick it all over your bike. By day, cannot be seen. In lights its like you 'glow' (can also put on bladed spokes :)). Assuming you have a black/grey bike of course
- Start to enjoy flies. You will eat lots.
- Mudguards are great. They may look shite, but amazing how often you ride in the wet when not raining
- Get a water bottle. Nice to have a drink.
- Take a tube and pump.
- Vary your routes
- Get a computer. If you are like me you end up chasing times/average speeds :roll:
- Get a good base layer
- Lycra is king
- Enjoy it!

after reading about them on bikeradar i got two 3w CREE lights from tesco for commuting.

the AA ones are nice and light and there is also a C battery version which is a bit heavier and fatter. Great lights for £10.

:( Oh God why did someone bring up the winter thing ,groan
I suppose on the bright side ,with this global warming thingy,theres less chance of that horrible white stuff :)

dyna-ti":1s4eoxz5 said:
:( Oh God why did someone bring up the winter thing ,groan
I suppose on the bright side ,with this global warming thingy,theres less chance of that horrible white stuff :)

What....Dandruff :?: :?: ;)

Echo what most have said here.

I commute 19 miles 3 times a week & 23 miles twice ( 2 different work offices). I only bike back everyday - too early for me in the mornings!. Luckily I have an understanding misses who lets me throw my bike in her car everyday then she drops me off at work. I leave my work shoes, belt etc @ work to lighten the load & avoid crushing.
I use a s/s retro road bike which owes me £30. two rear lights & my exposure maxx on the front which blinds drivers it seems ( get flashed / bibbed even tho light is on lowest setting & pointing down).
As said by wu, ear band & good socks/shoes a must to keep you warm.

To commute you need to grow thick skin, been called a tw*t a fair few times simply for being on the road when white van man would rather you weren't. People at work think I'm crazy/ got a screw loose & often take the p*ss outta my bib-shorts. Pure jealous they wouldn't look as good in them :cool: On cycle lanes it's amazing how many cyclists ride with ipods in & wander all over the place - you aint safe anywhere!

Often thought of panniers as dreaded cackyback is a mare with a rucksack, tho' it sounds stupid I thought it would make the bike feel heavy / unbalanced?

I always munch a nana as I'm leaving off for a bit of added energy & try to catch as many flies as poss :shock:

Martin

I'm so jealous of all you lot that have a nice long commute by bike. I ride to work but its 1.5 miles if that. Would love to be able to get some miles in riding to work and back. :cry:

Back