UPDATE (Page 3) 1994 Ink Blue Zaskar LE

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
This bike is my unicorn.

Ever since owning one from new, brought in 1995, which was stolen in 1998 from outside a newsagents in Maidenhead, I've wanted another to replace it.

Th original was purchased as a frame and built up with an eclectic mix of components. Some a bit special, others middle of the road.

I finally found an (almost) identical frame back in 2014 and built it up as closely to the original bike as possible.

The original thread is here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=285008

The original replacement frame was actually a 1996, which is very different in design to the earlier Zaskars as it doesn't have the distinctive triangular gusset between the top & downtube.

Last year, I managed to bag this frame for £40.00 off eBay :shock: It's a 93-94 as opposed to the 1995 I had back in the day & is a bit of a puzzle.

bBI66RQl.jpg

As far as I'm aware, ink blue wasn't an option until 1995, but this frame is an October 1993, so a 1994 model year frame. It's also not the same colour as any I've seen before, it's more of a petrol blue. There's nothing to suggest it's a blemished frame or prototype so I can only assume it's an early run of the darker colour. The anodising is definitely original (or at least done when new) so it remains a mystery.

I've scratched the nostalgic itch and although I briefly just swapped this frame into the original build, it as never going to be my old bike, I decided to start afresh.

Back in the day I couldn't afford a factory Zaskar LE, so now was my chance. There are some lovely factory/period builds on the forum and I wanted something more catalog in nature, but I also wanted it to be different, but I could give my self a bit of flexibility as the Ink Blue was a Tech Shop option.

With a bit of artistic licence (given the frame is 1993) I had the option to go with an XC Pro build, which felt different enough for me. As much as I love M900, it does get a bit samey on Zaskars. :D

So the search began for parts for the build. Id' already swapped the U.S.E. Stealth forks fitted to the first build for a pair of Bologna Lites, so these were enlisted for duty once more, held in place on this occasion by a Tange AheadSet. I've also fitted an XTR grey Syncros Cattlehead stem & some Syncros Bars. The stem is to be swapped for a black replacement with a little less rise. The chainset currently fitted is n XC Comp, but that too will be replaced with an XC Pro number & matching bottom bracket.

Following lengthy discussions with ishaw, I have secured the first batch of XC Pro kit for the build so I can actually get started now:

Front mech.....

AWvhX4Zl.jpg

....and rear

0JtqdxRl.jpg

Thumb shifters and brake levers

ytNOOnXl.jpg

and cantilever brakes....

9rZ80S7l.jpg

GejoMcGl.jpg

Which really are a thing of beauty. :cool:

Next month I'll be in a position to sort the next bits for the build. Cranks, BB and hubs.

I still need to source a 32H Mavic M231 rim and a nice black 27mm seatpost.

But that's what makes it fun. :LOL:

Re:

One more pic for today.

Here's one with a pair of wheels fitted. Not the ones intended for it, they will need to be built, but I had to see what it was going to look like.

J8vad6jl.jpg

Re: 1994 Ink Blue Zaskar LE- (Take two!)

God I love it, let me know if you ever get bored as she's a beauty :)

Re:

:D

This is definitely a keeper. I am really pleased with the way its going. But then, it looked good last time round. The frame does look really good in the blue with Gil's retro decals, so it's not hard to build into a good looking bike.

Beautiful. Looks great in that colour! I like the suntour group set too. It's correct and different all at once.

Re:

Looking good mate! I think the bolagna lite forks suit the 18" frames better than the 16" but the high rise stem is a must. The syncros looks good btw

Coming along nicely buddy.

And as has been said above, it's nice to see one with Suntour as opposed to the usual Shimano (like mine :roll: )

Looking forward to your progress.

Factory Jackson":8d9knend said:
Coming along nicely buddy.

And as has been said above, it's nice to see one with Suntour as opposed to the usual Shimano (like mine :roll: )

Looking forward to your progress.

I'd never done a Suntour build before. Sure, the MF Explorer has XCD kit on it, but it was a complete bike. Every build I've done has been Shimano so I was itching to do something different.

There are some really nicel Zaskars on the forum too, so I wanted to do something that would set it apart.

Oddly I've got an XC9000 build on the go too now.

Never done a DX build either, and I've got a complete groupset sitting in the man cave............

Re:

So another box of goodies has arrived for the Zaskar build, thanks again to ishaw.

Dz71JQ7l.jpg

I now have an XC Pro bottom bracket on to which I can hang the cranks.

c27vRtvl.jpg

Along with a pair of hubs to lace to the Mavic M231 rims I have waiting.

Dh5JZD2l.jpg

pJdfxkBl.jpg

The rear also has a 7 speed cassette to go with it. :cool:

I need to get the wheels built up now and then I can finish it off. I can't wait to see it completed, but gonna have to be patient.

TLv5NQjl.jpg

So far so good though. :D

I have also got an alternative Syncros Stem that I'm going to try. I've not seen a cattle head with the later logos before, but I'll probably refinish it gloss black with early decals if I use it.

ASzCNqdl.jpg

Re:

So,

Another little progress update.

I'd initially fitted the cranks with a temporary UN55 bottom bracket (because I'm impatient and couldn't wait).

When the XC Pro BB arrived, I took everything apart with the intention of ftting the correct BB only to find that, although it said it was for a 73mm shell on the box, the BB it contained was in fact a 68mm.

However I was really lucky to find a Suntour grease guard BB of the correct length so when this arrived today I could continue as planned.......

yTUVorSl.jpg

Correct drive side cup fitted....

4ipoNhxl.jpg

.....and funky grease guard crank bolts with grease port.

5W2UVMyl.jpg

with crank caps, complete with GG logos......

4x2XoSXl.jpg

I also had a rethink with the front bike as I wasn't happy with the hanger I had fitted.

I tried a couple of different hangers that fit under the stem, but the steerer tube is only just long enough with the Syncros stem fitted so in the end I have gone for a Tektro Power Hanger.

I kind of like the idea of using this as a similar power hanger was an option with XC Pro. The Tektro version will do until I find an original though. :D

UxuzZQxl.jpg

Back