95 Zaskar LE

Re:

How cool is that.

The Syncros post is original equipment for a 95 which means it would have had a matching stem.

Not sure about the WI wheels though.

I guess there is a chance that it was a frameset that the shop built up to sell as a complete bike.

Re:

I went hunting for spare parts at my favorite second hand bike shop today.

Attachments

• 20170307_123454.jpeg
    20170307_123454.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 613
Re: 93-94 Zaskar LE

The syncros seatpost that is on the bike is missing the lower half of the seat rails clamp so I can't put a seat on it now. I'm also having a hard time finding a syncros stem for the bike. Should I keep hunting or should I just use the Kore stem and rockshox suspension seatpost that I found?

Re:

95 was about the year they changed from Syncros to Kore, so either would go very nicely.

You shouldn't have too much difficulty finding a Syncros stem & if you post a wanted add on here someone may be able to help out with the missing part for the post.

If it was me; I'd bang the RS post & Kore stem on it to get it useable while I decide which way I wanted to go with the build (and while I searched for alternative parts).

But it's you bike. ;)

I decided to get into the forks tonight and see what I'm dealing with. It isn't good. Someone has over tightened the upper bolts on the brake hanger and stripped the threads out on the legs. The brake bosses will hold the brake hanger to the lowers tight enough but it still bothers me. One side of the fork wouldn't compess at all. I took both legs apart to see if the insides had been serviced. I don't think they ever have. The grease is rust color and clumpy. It's a bit of a mess. I can order a rebuild kit and sort it out but I might be better off with a fork that's been better taken care of. I did loosen the seized leg so It will compress and rebound now.

Re:

You might be able to repair the threads using helicoils, or retap for the next size up bolt. The second option would probably require a bit of work to the brace too as the countersink for the bolt head will need to be enlarged. Not too big a job with the correct tools though.

As for servicing the forks, I guess you need to weigh up the costs. You may spend a bit of money on the ones you have to get them working properly, but at least you'll know the condition of them once it's done. You could spend a lump of cash on a better fork & still have to service it?

I found a product that is made to rapair the threads. It has good reviews so I'll give it a go. This fork has had the elastomers replaced with coil springs. I think the springs are the source of the rust. I'll give them a good cleaning and decided if I want to keep them. Then I can just reoil and grease everything and call it a day. After sleeping on it I've decided that the fork isn't too bad.

Re:

It still needs a lot of work to be trail worthy but I couldn't wait to see how it will look.

Attachments

• 2017-03-08 20.13.13.jpg
    2017-03-08 20.13.13.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 561
Back