1995 Team Titanium

Be careful with those "new forks" as they tend to be too long for those old frames. It will ruin the drive characteristics. Just sayn'.

Re:

It's a double edged sword though as old forks, as cool as they look, just don't work as well! It came with a set of Manitou 4's but the internals are knackered and beyond my skill levels to repair!

I've had one of these and it was a great bike (link in sig below to it)

I had a modern build on it with Sid forks & the handling was spot on.

However I can't remember if the forks were 80 or 100 travel

Jea, well. If you have a nice new fork that works well. But you then end up with a bike that does handle like an old donkey - where's the gain in that?

You will have troubles finding a suitable new fork anyhow. Because you need 1 1/8" non tapered steerer, canti bosses, 26", and, on top of that, 80mm max travel. Hardly any modern forks have canti bosses nowadays. The solution for that would be a new wheel, a disk brake and a new shifter... Where is the end to that? You can buy a perfectly fine bike that is ready to go for less money than you would get selling your current frame.

I can see no sense in "upgrading" such a bike with modern parts, from an financial point of view. You would spend so much money only to end up with a weird looking (and presumably handling) bike.

I personally would either go the full retro road, if I was into the frame that much. And I really think this bike would deserve a proper build.
Or I would just fix it up "cheap" with - well - close to period correct used parts and just ride like that.

I did that exact mistake when I came back to mountainbiking. Had a nice full rigid retro frame. It was a lot of fun, but a bit harsh up front. Wanted a nice boingy-fork, fitted a 120mm Rock Shox Psylo to that poor steel frame, went to the woods and had - NO fun at all! The fork was way too long the handling was rubbish. I would not go around corners. It was softer thou.
I then got myself a pair of (cheap) hydracoil Judys. They were 100mm travel but you can reduce them to 80mm. With those the fun was back. And it was all in those 40mm travel.

As its titanium, I would say 350 Euro for the bare frame, minimum. Thats for the german market.

Andy B":27z961a9 said:
I've had one of these and it was a great bike (link in sig below to it)

I had a modern build on it with Sid forks & the handling was spot on.

However I can't remember if the forks were 80 or 100 travel

I think they were 80mm Andy, about as long as the frame will be fine with.
It was a nice bike :)

Re:

If it was me and you don't mind the weight of bombers, then I would getsoem 80mm bombers, not expect expensive normally.
Or some 80mm Judy Hydrocoils or Fox or similar late 90s/00 forks.
Then modernise the kit if it needs. replacing,get a new stem and seat.

Back