Job advice needed please.

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Morning all,

I’m after some job advice from the peeps here on RB.

I currently work for the NHS where I have to travel 60miles a day to get to my place of work (don’t worry this isn’t a travel thing!)

There is a good possibility that I will be offered a job soon that is based from home. Now whilst I don’t have any “out of work” contact with my colleagues – its just professional – although it is nice to have some interaction.

Do any of you here work from home/are based at home? What are the pro’s and con’s etc?

Can you offer any advice?

I think motivation and a separate room are essential .

you can get employer to pay for your internet connections etc...

I could not do it , I dont do much at work ,so would be worse at home . :LOL:

cchris2lou":965d38tq said:
I think motivation and a separate room are essential .

you can get employer to pay for your internet connections etc...

I could not do it , I dont do much at work ,so would be worse at home . :LOL:

Agree with the motivation thing. I do have a seperate room.

I work from home a day or so a week at the moment and get my internet connection paid etc.

I guess your last comment is the one i'm worried about - I'm at work now ;)

I work from home, 50% of the time and travel the other 50%

If you have the mind to do it its great, I tend to take a flexabule approach to when I work, so I can get in a mid day ride, (especially good in the winter) go shoping, cook lunch etc.

You do need to have space for work and be very disaplined, as does your partner, who will say things like 'as your at home can you just . . . .' but it is nice to pop out and work from the coffee shop, or the beach/park. I get my broadband paid and talk to my every one else in the company at least once a week and the important people every day, Webcams and skype are a great tool, just rember to get dressed in the morning !!!

Personally i find that on the days i do work from home i get the same amount of work done in half the time because there arent the distractions. So i end up working till lunch by which time my work is done and the afternoon is free for riding.

Cheers for the wise word GR.

I’d like to think I am disciplined enough + I’m a very minimalist when it comes to mess and working space etc.

I guess its just out of my comfort zone of what I know.

That walk to Tesco’s at lunchtime when utter rubbish is spoken seems meaningless but I guess could keep you sane?

I would be based from home but travel throughout the month.

s_zigmond":1eeyvuk1 said:
Personally i find that on the days i do work from home i get the same amount of work done in half the time because there arent the distractions.

I agree. Same happens with me.

Back