DAAS's Orange Aluminium Elite

daveaasmith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Frame: Orange Aluminium Elite (1993) 17"

Fork: Rockshox Quadra (soon to be replaced with Pace RC35 kevlar)

Headset: YST evolution
Stem: Syncros
Handlebar: Orange Hot Rod
Grips: Race Face Good'n'Evil
Barends: nope

Brakes: Tektro V's
Brake Pads: Tektro
Brake Cables: Jagwire
Brake Levers: Tektro

Shifters: XC
Front Derailleur: XC Microdrive
Rear Derailleur: XC-Comp Microdrive
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire
Cassette: XC Microdrive
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: XC-Comp Microdrive
Crank Bolts: Suntour
Chainrings: Suntour Microdrive
Chainring bolts: Silver Aluminium
Bottom Bracket: XT
Pedals: Cheapies

Hub Skewers: X-Lite Camlock
Rims: M231CD
Hubs: XC-Comp Microdrive
Nipples: DT
Spokes: DT
Tyres: IRC Notos
Tubes: Continental

Saddle: Orange
Seatpost: Syncros
Seatpost Binder: X-Lite Camlock

Weight: 23lbs

Excuse the crappy pics - camera seems to be playing up, oh, and it's dark outside......

Attachments

• eb 050.jpg
    eb 050.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 4,999
  • eb 049.jpg
    eb 049.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 4,999
  • eb 048.jpg
    eb 048.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 4,999
  • eb 047.jpg
    eb 047.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 4,999
Very nice, always liked the elite, but my suggestion would be to replace the forks with pace (Its the law ;) :LOL: ) and replace the stem, it deserves these upgrades, give it to me and I will sort these issues out for ya.. :) ;) nice job there fella..

Not 100% convinced by the RockShox, but other than that you've managed to build a cracker of a bike.
Maybe change the stem or post (.......so stem I guess!) so they match, but it's only a little maybe. :cool:

Very nice :cool: , i have to agree with the rest though on the forks and the stem, were a fussy bunch around here :LOL:

Lookin' good dave :D .... always loved the look of the elite and being a fanatic of the "O", an elite or an E3 should be next on my most wanted list...... unless I find that 'formula' of course! :LOL:

Lovin' the groupset.... but tend to agree with the other comments here.
Pace is the law ( especially on a classy orange build ) but as I sold you the rockshox :oops: :oops: .
A zero rise syncros in black would look the nuts though. What about the polished rigid Ali forks?
Great build :cool: .... get out and enjoy now! ( just make sure you don't break it in on a muddy d2d course. I've got a broken seatpin and a knackered headset on my orange/white "O" now!.... chance to refine :D )

cheers,
boy"O"boy

I'll go stem and saddle but apart from that it looks race ready :cool:

Thanks guys - some nice / useful comments there......

I agree about the Syncros, but am not sure about Syncros in general. Of course I love it, but there's a lot of Syncros about and I'd prefer something different. Crud's Answer Atac stem in blue would be great (if it's not sold), and then something to match for a seatpost.

Although I've considered keeping the seatpost and getting a 1 1/8" Syncros stem http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280190836435 with a shim (as the post is a modern as well - came from a GT i-Drive or something).

SJS seem to do shims http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Thor ... 2mm-insert)-quill-stem-to-1-1-8inch-or-1-1-4inch-threaded-forks-444.htm but they say it's not suitable for matching 1 1/4" forks to a 1 1/8" stem. Surely just opening up the shim a bit would make it all work? The shim thickness would be right (1/16"), just the shim itself would need to be stretched?

As for Pace - yep, would love it - went for a quick win with boy"O"boy's Rockshox, as they were 1 1/4" and ready to go. Manitou916 was selling a pair of RC30's with a 1 1/4" steerer, on the bay, for about £100 iirc - don't think they sold though, but a bit out of my price range at the moment, as I'm building the Klein as well!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back