Laptop Recommendations.

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
It has been a crappy month. Now (as an extra kick in the happy sacks), I suddenly find myself unemployed. I have broadband as part of job. They won't be paying for it for much longer but I'm locked in on a contract for a fair few months yet. So have decided to get a PC myself. A laptop is what I want due to space and site visits for what work I can pick up. The other must is for it to run XP Pro. Storage memory isn't as important as reasonable processor speed.

What would the computer experts on here suggest?

Take look here

http://www.itcsales.co.uk/acatalog/Lapt ... books.html

Lot's of ex demo and reconditioned ones at good prices.

OR on ebuyer, it'll be tough to find something that comes with XP pro loaded, some are still offering a downgrade CD that you can use to wipe the pre-loaded Vista and install XP

Most ones you will find with XP are old celeron processors which are pants, you're better off getting a new one and then loading XP if you can get a copy cheap (£75)

Try Dell cheap one's. Can't go wrong with them at the moment, still winning the best of test awards or close second.

Go test them out in Tesco and/or Dixons/PC World. <--- honestly really good advice, keyboards, screens and trackpad/nipples are of the utmost importance with laptops.

Then go find where you can get it for cheapest :D

I personally find using a laptop difficult to use as easily as a desktop
you end up putting it on a desk anyway :LOL: :LOL:

Laptops cant be upgraded as easily as desktops
They usually have poo graphics capability
And lets not forget the super long discharge rate the batteries have :p not
The people i know that opted for a laptop,eventually ends up putting it on a table[read desk]permantly plugged into the mains with a printer and mouse attached :roll: :LOL:
Best buy a desktop :D
Only not a mac cos they're crap and way overpriced

Dont know if u all know ,but Vista doesn't have a defragment option on the H/d,u can download some crazy program that will defragment it ,but i wouldnt trust it to do a proper job
I've also found Xp home runs smoother than the PRO version

And if you like games like this xp home will run it better than the pro edition

Iwasgoodonce":1yux18h8 said:
It has been a crappy month. Now (as an extra kick in the happy sacks), I suddenly find myself unemployed. I have broadband as part of job. They won't be paying for it for much longer but I'm locked in on a contract for a fair few months yet. So have decided to get a PC myself. A laptop is what I want due to space and site visits for what work I can pick up. The other must is for it to run XP Pro. Storage memory isn't as important as reasonable processor speed.

What would the computer experts on here suggest?

first of all your useage will be and secondly budget

desktop pcs are cheaper + much more easily upgradeable.

is that battlefield of some sorts there dyna-ti? looks like desert combat!

Dell Vostro™ 1510 NB(N1015131)

BASE Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5670 (1.8 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Business (SP1) with XP Pro installed and Vista & XP Media-English edit
LCD 15.4" Widescreen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with Anti-Glare Coating edit
INTEGRATED WEBCAM Glossy Black without Camera edit
MEMORY 2048MB (2x1024) 667MHz DDR2 Dual Channel edit
HARD DRIVE 320GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive edit
GRAPHICS CARD 256 MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS (64 bit) Graphic Card edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software edit
PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery edit

ARRY CASES No Carrying Case edit
BLUETOOTH No Bluetooth® Card included edit
WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Dell™ Wireless 1395 (802.11 b/g) MiniPCI Card edit
POWER SUPPLY 90W Power Adapter (3 Wire) edit
Also included with your system
Gedis Bundle Reference N1015131
Order Information Vostro Laptop 1510 Order - UK
Biometric Identification No Biometric Fingerprint Reader
Shipping Documents English - Documentation Vostro Laptop
Dell System Media Kit V1510 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)
Cables 1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - UK
Keyboard Internal Keyboard - English (QWERTY)
Standard Warranty 1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day
Online Promotion Option for GEDIS Configs Dell Internet Order

Price From £449.00 take £50 from it if not bothered about graphics
and add £50 for the 2gig cpu

We should really get a game of BF2 going some time...or at least get every one on a comms server and joining a decent server.

Would mean I'd have to install the bloody thing and remember my account details though :/

richie-t":1uaef6b8 said:
desktop pcs are cheaper + much more easily upgradeable.

is that battlefield of some sorts there dyna-ti? looks like desert combat!
Correct,but im stuck on bf 1942[cd rom] cos my dvd player crashes my system when ever i use it,,theres a blooming conflict somewhere ,+it tricky tracking it down
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That dell vostro,seems ok except for the small screen and the graphics card that would give u maybe 10 fps :LOL: on the game above
All in all its a good system though its too expensive

You should be able to build a quad core ,on a good m/board with 2 gig ram
and an 9600gt graphics and a 19" for much the same money
That would allow u to run any new game at maxed settings+ the graphics these days [on vista dx10] are incredible,but u need max setting to see them

Back