Cannondale R500 CAAD2 Project - COMPLETED Updated (15/01/12)

Well the bike is built and just needs a bit of setting up, here are the final specs below. Will add pictures when I get a nice day and it's not dark!

Frame: Cannondale R500 CAAD2 Aluminium

Fork: Time Equipe Pro Carbon

Headset: FSA
Stem: Modolo Q-race
Handlebar: Cinelli
Bar Tape: Easton

Brifters: Shimano Sora (3x9)
Brake Calipers: Shimano RX100
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Clarks Premium

Front Derailleur: Shimano 4503 Tiagra (triple)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 4500 Tiagra (9 speed)
Derailleur Cables: Clarks Premium
Cassette: SRAM PG950 12-26
Chain: SRAM PC-951
Cranks: FSA Tempo
Chainrings: FSA
Bottom Bracket: FSA
Pedals: Shimano M500 SPD

Rims: Mavic CXP22
Hubs: Felt
Hub Skewers: Felt
Nipples: DT Swiss
Spokes: DT Swiss
Tyres: Michelin Speedium 2
Tubes: Continental

Saddle: San Marco Race Gel
Seatpost: X-lite Click-on

Bottle Cage: Zefal
Extras:

Weight: ~10kg

Bike Complete (15/01/12)

Bike now completed!!

b4966b6e.jpg
9aa96cad.jpg

Had a quick ride and it is all fine, just a little tune up required!

Pleased withe outcome and hopefully has turned into a good bike.

Re: Caad2 R500

I've kept a link to this post for years as I have the same bike. Always thought it looked great and your post gave me a kick to sort mine out and use it more. I've had to upgrade parts over the years as I was using it as my main bike up until last April. Now it's my winter bike but still love using it.
It's still sporting the original triple crank set & front mech, RSX brake callipers but I've gradually changed pretty much of the rest. All started when on of the original shifter failed to work due to fatigued internal parts.
I've kept all the old parts and may take it back to original [as possible] but it's still a great frame and works well.
I'll send an image if you're interested to see the transformation.

I keep meaning to update this thread but have never got around to it. Once the bike was built I used it a few times but then the opportunity came along to purchase a Cannondale Six13 Team Lampre frame. I got that and stripped the R500 for parts. As I went along the Six13 became my main bike and was upgraded to Ultegra standard. Rather than leave the R500 languishing I converted it to a flatbar hybrid using some mtb/road mix shimano kit. Over summer 2015 I turned the R500 back into a road bike with a new 10speed double Tiagra groupset, this was to be my winter bike. I've used it a few times and it is still going strong and feels great to ride.

I really should post some pictures and would love to see you R500 too (area23uk).

Great to hear that you still have your R500 and that it's on the road again. I'll definitely send some pics of mine. Been waiting for a decent day and also having snapped a spoke at the weekend, the wheel was being sorted and is now back on. [And the bike cleaned!]. Will be in touch. I may have some questions about changing the crank to a double and what bottom bracket to use.

Here's a picture of my Caad2 from yesterdays ride - not totally clean, but think it's looking fairly pretty as winter bikes go :)
martins_caad2.jpg

Re:

Hi mate!

Messaging you all the way from AUS here.

I just bought a 1998 CAAD 2 R500 (from what I can tell at least, will check serial numbers tonight)

What size modern day forks did your build accommodate? Just trying to order online, but not super confident.

Is it compatible with most modern groupsets? I've got an older Ultegra 6600 I was thinking about moving across....

Cheers!

Hi AlasdairE,

The forks I used on mine have a 1 inch steerer - you can still come by them secondhand - I got lucky with the Deda Black Force Carbon's.

As for modern group sets - I've actually just converted mine to Shimano 105 compact. The BB is a fairly standard Shimano English Threaded BB6700.

I've attached a pic of it's current look.

Best of luck getting yours sorted!

Martin

Back