1992 Diamond Back Response- FINISHED (Pix on Page 4)

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
So I picked this frame up before Christmas from mkone. (Cheers buddy :cool: )

I'd been looking for a frame to use for a build using Tioga parts. I'm not sure why; I just had this urge and after a bit of research a DB seemed the perfect choice.

IMG_4162.jpg

However when I got my hands on it and did a bit more digging in the RB archive I had a change of heart and decided to go for a catalogue build instead.

IMG_4163.jpg

IMG_4164.jpg

IMG_4165.jpg

I also have a 91 Apex coming :oops: which will now form the basis for my Tioga build, and also donate its Avenir parts.

The build for this will be mainly M550 LX, with DX M650 front mech (There was no top pull M550 mech) and DX thumb shifters. The Apex will donate its Aviner seat, post and bars along with its wheels- DX hubs and Aviner rims (These should ideally have LX hubs, but under the circumstances I can live with the deviation for now)

I need to source a Marzocchi XC100 fork, DX thumb shifters and Tioga headset. I already had a reasonable LX M550 rear derailleur

IMG_4166.jpg

......and have managed to source NOS LX M550 chainset with bio-pace rings....

IMG_4169.jpg

fitted using a new UN55 bottom bracket

.......and a NOS DX M651 top pull front derailleur with endless band mount.......

IMG_4172.jpg

The correct 28.6mm band is currently winging its way from the USA as we speak.

I'm really looking forward to building the up. Until recently I'd never really considered Diamond Backs. Soon I'll have two!

Re: 1992 Diamond Back Response

Sad news is I'm pretty sure this was a complete bike a short while ago, listed on ebay & won by everyones favourite seller Granniegear. Thus stripped & sold in parts.

However, it's a cool looking frame & I like your plans.
Look out for the build of my 91 Axis coming soon.

minor_LEGEND":178hrtcp said:
Sad news is I'm pretty sure this was a complete bike a short while ago, listed on ebay & won by everyones favourite seller Granniegear. Thus stripped & sold in parts.

However, it's a cool looking frame & I like your plans.
Look out for the build of my 91 Axis coming soon.

It would be a shame if that's the case. I'm not sure how long Mark had the frame before me, but I think it had been a while.

Mind you; I was looking for a frame, not a full bike so if t hadn't have been stripped I'd not have it in my possession now so in a round about way it worked out OK in the end. :D

Is your '91 Axis one of the cool Team Green ones? They do look rather cool. I like the colours from 91-92. You've got to love splatter paint jobs. The '91 Apex I have coming my way is a red splatter.

Strange, i was thinking about this frame the other day, kinda regret letting it go now :roll: Glad to see you starting on it and looking forward to seeing it progress. :cool:

Oh, and i didnt get it from granniegear, im not that rich :LOL:

Mark

Re:

Hi Mark. :D

It's going to get plenty of TLC I promise. In addition to the NOS Cranks & FM, I have also got a set of SS5 brake levers plus NOS T-Bone stem on the way and a Tioga Avenger headset. I've also got my eye on some NOS Avenir grips on eblag.

If all goes well I'll be sorted with an XC100 fork soon too.

Once the Apex arrives I think all I'll be looking for are a seat post binder and some Dia Compe cantis.

If you really feel the need for another DBR frame, the Apex is the same tubing; its essentially the same frame just different detailing and a different colour. ;)

Ahh some good DB banter in here!

Youre right, about not coming about the frame unless it was already stripped, it's great it's been found by someone that will appreciate it.

As for my Axis, it's the black with white spangle effect. The bright green you mention is the 91 Axis team - hens teeth (me want for anyone ever reading this). I think the alternative colour to my 1991 model is an orange/black splatter. The 91 Apex is Red/black splatter.

Soz, back on topic...
What are the Tioga parts? I'm a Tioga fanboy too.

minor_LEGEND":3ishx3pj said:
Soz, back on topic...
What are the Tioga parts? I'm a Tioga fanboy too.

Digress all you like. :D

The Tioga bits on this will be just headset & stem.

I originally came to this frame as I had a real urge to build something up with loads of Tioga parts and a DB seemed the obvious choice for some reason. (Think it was because they spec'ed the stems as standard).

The 91 Apex will now form the basis for that build, I'll stick with the original DX Groupset and it will have the obvious Tioga bits - headset & Stem. But I'm also planning to add bars, seat post, forks, saddle, pedals, clips & straps etc. Most stuff seems relatively easy to get hold of. Bars & seat post will be the difficult bit I think. (I already have a line on forks. ;) )

minor_LEGEND":szbt8s38 said:
You gotta put some Tioga tyres on this.

True. Tyres too.

I have a smoke/dart pair to put on in the meantime, but some Tioga's will need to be found.

I've got a nice pair of Farmer John's nephew's on my MF Explorer, but they need to stay on that.

Psycho's would suit this. Tioga amberwalls are hard to come by now.
Smoke/Dart is perfectly fitting, this would have had a Smoke at both ends when new.

Latest posts

Back