Tomac's YetiGiant

novekili

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Taken from Yetifan, this Yeti built Giant Tomac rode in '95 (methinks) has dropouts absolutely identical to my Kokopelli. More, notice the Yeti cable guides along the top tube. Hey joh... Giant stickers on a Yeti?! :shock:

IIRC he wanted a custom frame. And Yeti could build one for him. Thinking back, I think he raced a Mongoose frame built by Fat Chance before. Happens everytime. Ritchey had downhill racers riding Turner full suspension frames painted in Ritchey tripple fade etc...

tomacyetigiantws.jpg

the yeti/giant above was well documented at the time & as mentioned above has happened a lot since... kona used turners for ages before they started using their own copies, gt cyclo-x bikes were made by curtlo (eh jez ;), tomacs giant made by intense, iron horse/ intense, herbolds foes, FB on mtbr.com owns 1 of tomacs FAT made mongoose, marla strebs mongoose made by nicolai, tim gould & david bakers peugeots made by chas roberts, brian lopes 3D racing GT 4X bike...etc, etc, etc the list is endless!

Interesting that there is a whole world of frames waiting to be discovered when you scratch teh paint a little so to speak... This practice is well-used in the roadie-world back in the day... Remember LA timetrialing on a Litespeed Blade on Trek-disguise when he won his first Tour.

erolorhun said:
Interesting that there is a whole world of frames waiting to be discovered when you scratch teh paint a little so to speak... This practice is well-used in the roadie-world back in the day... Remember LA timetrialing on a Litespeed Blade on Trek-disguise when he won his first Tour.

That's what I meant! Before changing team Bettini (ok, another bloody roadie) rode a whole year on a Wilier-disguised Scott CR1. NOT FAIR! They get free stuff, get paid, and then discard the crappy parts (including frames) and get all the best.

erolorhun said:

hahaha! I remeber an MBA article on the US "huffy" team. no1 in their right mind would actually race a huffy for a full season @ pro level. I seem to remeber this was another 3D racing frame ;)

scant said:
hahaha! I remeber an MBA article on the US "huffy" team. no1 in their right mind would actually race a huffy for a full season @ pro level. I seem to remeber this was another 3D racing frame ;)

I remember that article: it was a silver alu bike with a mag 21... I don't think the builder was mentioned. I could be wrong... some devilish hand has thrown an incredible number of MBAs away while I wasn't there.

Back