FRAME IDENTIFICATION

VeloFellow54

Old School Hero
HELP TO IDENTIFY FRAME PLEASE
Recently acquired frame with missing head badge. As far as I can see it dates from about 1960 (based on date on Williams crank), Nervex lugs, unusual wishbone pump peg (see picture), frame number 59339 on Simplex rear left dropout. The frame was fitted with a very nice Stronglight V4 headset (not cheap back in the day)
Thanks.

Attachments

• L1050591.jpg
    L1050591.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 855
  • L1050592.jpg
    L1050592.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 855
  • L1050593.jpg
    L1050593.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 855
Re:

Hi, that's a puzzle, I don't recall seeing that lugset before, the first question would be concerning the bottom bracket threading, are you sure it is british, just checking it is of these shores. Terry

Thanks Terry
Most definitely British. Had a TDC bottom bracket. The lugs are Nervex and I have seen the same style before (somewhere !) It had a Williams B.100 crank set with T A Criterian adapter / double chainrings (good equipment back in 1960). Bottom bracket has the usual brass oiler screwed in also.
It may well be Reynolds tubing - certainly it is quite light. Bit of a mystery !

Looks like you have nailed it Terry ! Too many similarities for it not to be. In fact the only difference I can find is the strange wishbone shape rear pump peg.
As to how / why it has British components - I need to do some checking. They appear to be scarce bikes. I cannot find a great deal about them. There is a 'witness' where the head badge was removed - perhaps the outline will fit a period 'Helyett' type. I will post more when I have done some more research.

That does look very similar to the Helyett, and the French headset adds further to the evidence. You might also expect it to have a French thread bottom bracket, I would think.

I have checked further and now have no doubt that it is : Helyett Speciale 1959. In fact the frame number is very close to that on the website that Terry has supplied the link to. There are a number of features that are identical and the 'shadow' of the original head badge fits also.
I have no idea how collectable / desirable a frame of this type is ? I suspect that French collectors would like it very much. Need to give this some thought !

Re:

Hi, the value and desirability of frames vary, it is a quality frame with history, but without a head badge, and may need a coat of paint, so not a life changer :). The parts can be found, there are lots of stronglight cranks about, universal brakes are easy to find, and a simplex/huret derailleur should finish it off, its your call. Find a good cycle jumble. Terry

After checking, I can confirm that the BB thread in English and clean (i e not messed around with or had a tap run through it)
A company in N London were importing these bikes (or perhaps frames only) back in 1959 and I would guess that they specified the BB thread and probably built the bike up using part English components. The crank set is a Williams B100 with TA Criterium adapter and twin n TA chain rings. The headset is a Stronglight V4. After checking, it would seem that one of these machines sold a couple of years ago on Ebay - the frame number being 59338 - my frame is 59339 !! Clearly from the same batch of bikes / frames.
I am still considering restoring this one. The original green paint is too far gone but it will be simple to get my stove enameller to match it. There are no decals visible at all but complete repro sets are freely available. I think that I will soon have the original head badge - albeit blank as the painted image on it has long disappeared. Many thanks to Terry and Keith for their input on this !

Back