Wheel problem

Ransetsu

Retro Guru
Just picked my Salsa up from Halford's ( am i allowed to mention the 'H' word ?? ) the mechanic who works there is a retro bike nut who often commutes to work on an old Yeti ARC ..... not only did he do all my work for nothing he also pointed out that there are hairline fractures in my Fir Impes rear rim ( just at the spoke holes ) i assume that it would be stupid to ride my beloved in this condition ..... so she's off the trails untill i can find a replacement wheel / rim ...... anyone got anything nice they can sell me ?? My existing one is built around the very first XTR hub ...

If the bike is going to be used I'd probably go for having the XTR hubs re-laced onto modern Mavic Rims, you can always take the stickers off and no-one would really know :cool: Pete McC's ex-Bontrager I own is on X517's and my Fuquay is on M231's

Cheers
Stu

Mark the ends of the cracks with a permanent marker. They may not propagate any further, or very slowly, and you can keep using the rim.

Terry...

terryhfs":3aag9o10 said:
Mark the ends of the cracks with a permanent marker. They may not propagate any further, or very slowly, and you can keep using the rim.

Terry...

Or they may just explode on the next downhill you do and rip your legs to pieces!

Are you going to stop and check your rims before every rocky section just in case the crack has moved past the marker?

REPLACE! If you are careful remove the old stickers, sprayglue and refit them on your new rims. Job Jobbed!

Anything Mavic is a good look!

Or they may just explode on the next downhill you do and rip your legs to pieces!

Yeah, but think of the added excitement and danger - hardcore ! Like riding with an undone headset.

I probably should have said that you could mark the cracks for light riding duties until a new wheel arrives. I'm gentle on my bike, even off-road (prob comes from riding road bikes) and I sometimes forget that others make 'greater demands' of their equipment.

Terry...

I forgot to add - my Ozark came with non Q/R wheels. I had a front puncture one day up on the South Downs and found that the thread on the cheap hub had stripped and couldn't be tightened.

Front dropouts didn't have idiot ridges in those days and so I had to ride home 15 miles along the South Downs way with my front wheel held in with only gravity and a bit of luck.

Terry...

Back