Employment Law

mcobie

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Anyone on here up to speed on employment law :?: Does your employer need to take any specific steps prior to amending your contract of employment :?:

Part of my package was a fuel allowance, which i have just been informed via email is stopping as of 1st November. From this point on we will only get the statutory .40p per mile for business mileage, and as such i am going to be out of pocket by a couple hundred £ per month :evil:

Any idea's :?:

Its been a few years since I had any staff responsibility but as far as I can remember, in most circumstances all an employer has to do is give you 4 weeks notice and they can change pretty much anything. Not too sure about things like fuel allowances, but I would imagine that its the same, if any notice is required at all.

I understand it to be 4 weeks too as we had a similar thing years ago...and I was gobsmacked that they could change something as major ( contract monday -friday they wanted it to change to weekends ) nothing we could do.

they need to give you notice , even if it is not in your contract .
your contract should mention how many weeks notice so need to give you to amend contracts details .

mcobie":3cnbalum said:
Anyone on here up to speed on employment law :?: Does your employer need to take any specific steps prior to amending your contract of employment :?:

Part of my package was a fuel allowance, which i have just been informed via email is stopping as of 1st November. From this point on we will only get the statutory .40p per mile for business mileage, and as such i am going to be out of pocket by a couple hundred £ per month :evil:

90 days for change of contract

.40p ..... it should be in line with inland revenue Any more than they say and you will have to pay tax on top at the end of the year
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/travel.htm
Your company are paying the norm by the looks of it

mcobie":2f31kxvs said:

40p is quite good. I got 40p for first 4000 miles then 20 p after that. and at 50000 miles a year it never worked out very good

s_zigmond":32t53aof said:
mcobie":32t53aof said:

40p is quite good. I got 40p for first 4000 miles then 20 p after that. and at 50000 miles a year it never worked out very good

I work in local authority and my LA are looking at changing milage allowances and lease car deals etc, they are ' consulting' with staff at the moment which is bollocks because you know they are going to implement the proposed changes regardless of what we say - way of the world at the moment I am afraid.

Cheers guys.

Essentially, we don't have fuel cards, we pay for the fuel ourselves, and then just submit the receipts as expenses. This was part of the contractual benefits.

I ahve spoken with a contract lawyer (interesting the contacts you make in the Financial Services) who has said they seem to have kept within the law - even if they have effectively reduced the package :evil:

Ho hum, 2 interviews next week, so hopefully it'll not be an issue for too long :D

i get 40 p per mile plus time i spend in the car at 6 quid per hour which is great cos i go between schools all the time..

Back