XP service pack 3 killed my HDD!

My PC is giving me grief about wanting to have this update. Do I let it or not? Is Mr Big Cheese just unlucky or have othes had woes too?

Iwasgoodonce":2dkkqprj said:
My PC is giving me grief about wanting to have this update. Do I let it or not? Is Mr Big Cheese just unlucky or have othes had woes too?

just unlucky

legrandefromage":13jqjen5 said:
Iwasgoodonce":13jqjen5 said:

just unlucky

Hey he the skip king what you expect :LOL:

Have you tested the drive yet let me know what make it is and will put you in direction of the diagnostic tools for it as said before

if it has caused a corrupt install and thats all and the drive got data on that you want you can take it out caddie it and backup data as long as it hasnt destroyed the partition table of the drive

Iwasgoodonce":3hzyfb44 said:

He was just unlucky. I'm currently running SP3 and had no problems with it.

While it is possible that the MBR could be corrupted by a botched SP install, I'd say it was more likely that the sudden heavy use turned a failing drive into a failed one. Unless the battery failed at a critical point or something?

SP3 is reasonably safe to deploy on legit copies of XP on reliable hardware; there are occasional problems with Windows Updates being botched afterwards, but that's about it.

Back