Cliff Peters Cycle Shop, Aston. Any info out there on him?

Re: Cliff Peters Cycle Shop, Aston. Any info out there on hi

Ian Peters":1wcsnga8 said:
There I was, doing a bit of family research and came across this forum through Google search. Cliff Peters was my father and it is heart warming to see him remembered by others, outside the family. I would be happy to try and answer any questions that I can for you guys.
1. Yes he made frames = Reynold 531 tubing and where I learned to braze lugs.
2. Grandad and I used to make 'shoe-plates' on an old hand press in the back of the shop.
3. Shop was at the corner of Wheeler St. and Gerrard St.

The Shop came under compulsory purchase with the re-development of Aston in the 1960's but he carried on building bikes in my various garages through the 1970's and 80's with more emphasis on wheel building and tuning. This he carried on well into the 90's

Road Race and time trial were his passion and could be found on courses most weekends.

Note: 33 years on the milk-race

Thanks for joining up and adding to the posts about your Dad. Like other people have said, there's nothing like having first hand information! I grew up using your shoeplates and sprint wheel carriers (and still have a pair of these!)

However, I have read that Major Nichols supplied at least some of your Dad's frames. Can you comment on this at all? It is mentioned in this very interesting article about Major Nichols.

http://www.blackcountrysociety.co.uk/ar ... cholls.htm

Re: Re:

Old Ned":1vp02ti3 said:
keithglos":1vp02ti3 said:
Mercian:
We knew Tom quite well, going to some of the same ladies time trials.
From what I remember, his wife "Ethel?" took over the Mercian shop when Tom went off with Janet, who I think worked in the shop. She was quite a time trialist.
I hope my memory is OJK.
keith

Ethel married Bernard Thompson the photographer. They lived near Maidenhead which is where I got to know them. She made super bread and cakes! Wednesday evening was an open house for local riders, especially the Hounslow & District which (I think) Bernard was a member of.

Re: Re:

joeholyoak":3lqxd9af said:
Old Ned":3lqxd9af said:
keithglos":3lqxd9af said:
Mercian:
We knew Tom quite well, going to some of the same ladies time trials.
From what I remember, his wife "Ethel?" took over the Mercian shop when Tom went off with Janet, who I think worked in the shop. She was quite a time trialist.
I hope my memory is OJK.
keith

Ethel married Bernard Thompson the photographer. They lived near Maidenhead which is where I got to know them. She made super bread and cakes! Wednesday evening was an open house for local riders, especially the Hounslow & District which (I think) Bernard was a member of.

And me! I used to go there when I lived in High Wycombe around '68/69. It was a nice ride over there especially in the off-season. Yes, Ethel's fruit cake and the thick chunks of bread and honey. Lovely!

BTW, the house is still called 'Snapper'. A nod to Bernard's photographic genius I presume.

Are you Mike, or anyone else who made them here, able to explain to me what the 4 drilled holes are for ? It looks like they were put in at time of manufacture. Why only on one carrier ?

Apple Tree":216eauup said:
Are you Mike, or anyone else who made them here, able to explain to me what the 4 drilled holes are for ? It looks like they were put in at time of manufacture. Why only on one carrier ?
AFAIK, they're not a standard feature. Mine don't have them and I can't recall seeing any others drilled like this. Probably a previous owner needed to drill it for a special requirement?

Re:

My Uncle Walter in action on his Cliff Peters, time trialling :cool:

Attachments

• 19894895_10155919388003132_3430194197287780406_n.jpg
    19894895_10155919388003132_3430194197287780406_n.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 592
Cant remember the exact year 66/67 but got a phone call say that Cliff was having problems (Health?)& could I spanner on the TOB if he couldn't make it however I got another phone call saying he was OK to do it.

Back