Engineers?

Another here.. Trained as a Calibration engineer to develop engine management and power train systems in vehicles.
My current job encompasses this and a lot of rapid prototyping parts on mule cars, i.e. 'make/modify a component to fill a gap and make it work without it dropping off or going bang!'
There is a massive collective of cyclists who are engineers in my office and often stupid ideas about from banter develop into random 'prototype' (cough..bike) parts rolling out of the machine shop. This months collective plan and mini project is designing and producing a little batch of decent lights.

StevePSD":2g9kmfz1 said:
Another here.. Trained as a Calibration engineer to develop engine management and power train systems in vehicles.
My current job encompasses this and a lot of rapid prototyping parts on mule cars, i.e. 'make/modify a component to fill a gap and make it work without it dropping off or going bang!'
There is a massive collective of cyclists who are engineers in my office and often stupid ideas about from banter develop into random 'prototype' (cough..bike) parts rolling out of the machine shop. This months collective plan and mini project is designing and producing a little batch of decent lights.

yes it has been known for a few development drawings to be raised for cycle components at our place too. Latest one is 3 of us working on a lighting system.

grahame":20in4bxu said:
Professional Manufacturing Engineer here (bunch of degrees, industrial apprenticeship, 2 years post-graduate training, 2 years+ responsible post before using the tag).

I now teach Manufacturing Engineering and Engineering Management at a university, and am doing a PhD in how management systems impact on corporate culture change programmes (like "If the bankers "success" were measured differently, would we be in the same economic mess?")

I get angry that non-professionals get to call themselves "Engineer", "Engineering Technician" ok, "Engineer" no! Hospital porters, paramedics, etc don't get to call themselves doctors. Their work is still extremely valuable, but they are not doctors. It's the same in engineering.

End of rant.

"and am doing a PhD in how management systems impact on corporate culture change programmes"

Jesus, I'm glad I just actually fix things. That sounds just about as dull as death! This must be the branch of engineering that was mentioned earlier that never gets any skirt! :LOL:

Im qualified as a butcher,i've spent so long taking things apart ,i must need to put other things together :LOL:

Back