How do you pronounce it ?

orange71":3lpzsbbz said:
au contraire...

http://www.learnancientgreek.com/PREVALFA.HTM

scroll down to the letter T and you'll find Titanes and you can hear it pronounced "teetaaness"

Yes, but that's the ancient Greek pronunciation.

The ancient Greeks didn't discover Titanium, we did, and as such it took our pronunciation of the word, not theirs.

I'm pretty confident that the OED did their homework before including the word so if they say its 'tie', thats good enough for me.

porkypaw":eqy5nsg3 said:
How do you pronounce it ?

Like Git with out the "G"
Like Sit without the "S"
Like Bit without the "B"....etc...Personally I think it's one of the less difficult words to pronounce.

Russell":10nd56ws said:
It doesn't mater what side of the Atlantic you're on, according to the OED the origin of the word is from the Greek word 'Titan'. 'Titan' is pronounced 'tie-tan'. So... 'titanum' pronounced tie-tay-nium.

Though I pronounce it like the above.

Why if it comes from
Titan is it not pronounced Ta-tan -ium since the -ium is just the suffix/postfix for the element.
Does the -ium cause the alteration of the second 'a' .... maybe something to ask on Countdown while we can.

Of course if we did pronounce it like that, then porkypaw would not add the extra 'i' to make it 'tain' by mistake.

FluffyChicken":1v94cdjg said:
Russell":1v94cdjg said:
It doesn't mater what side of the Atlantic you're on, according to the OED the origin of the word is from the Greek word 'Titan'. 'Titan' is pronounced 'tie-tan'. So... 'titanum' pronounced tie-tay-nium.

Though I pronounce it like the above.

Why if it comes from
Titan is it not pronounced Ta-tan -ium since the -ium is just the suffix/postfix for the element.
Does the -ium cause the alteration of the second 'a' .... maybe something to ask on Countdown while we can.

Of course if we did pronounce it like that, then porkypaw would not add the extra 'i' to make it 'tain' by mistake.
Ooops! didn't notice that - I'm a numpty :oops:

Back