First retro mtb build ?Orange?

Re:

Managed to throw an hour or so at this today, stem fitted, badly painted generic alloy bars fitted, front hub cleaned & greased, rear freehub was shot so that's been swapped out for another & rear hub cleaned & greased, nasty alloy qrs fitted.
Starting to look like a bike now, still a very tatty one though!

Got bucket fulls of character.... like a good cobbled together bike sometimes... am looking forward to the finished result.. :)

Re:

Looks like the build is coming along nicely.

JFYI, sometimes its easier to wait and install the brake calipers after the stem, bars, and wheels are attached ... but minor point. And ... tatty ... can be a good thing (less likely to get nicked too quickly!) ...

keep up the good work! :D

Re:

Okay so we're nearly there! Actually took it for a ride this afternoon.
Unfortunately wasted loads of time repairing* the xt thumbies I brought that had stripped threads :( but managed to get them to an acceptable state so all good. Fitted up gears, chain, brakes cable, saddle in fact pretty much everything. there are a few make do bits & it's no beauty (it never will be) but it's avoided the skip it was about go in! Just a bit of fine tuning should see it done, then I can turn my attention to my Chameleon that's still in bits!

Attachments

• P1020769.JPG
    P1020769.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 1,042
  • P1020770.JPG
    P1020770.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,042
  • P1020771.JPG
    P1020771.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 1,042
  • P1020772.JPG
    P1020772.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 1,042
Looks fantastic buddy, I love seeing a bike saved from death.

Recently finished restoring my friends old Orange that he used to ride around The New Forest when we were kids, they are great retro bikes and I hope to bring it back down there one day :)

Minifreak":3nzlwpvw said:
Looks fantastic buddy, I love seeing a bike saved from death.

Recently finished restoring my friends old Orange that he used to ride around The New Forest when we were kids, they are great retro bikes and I hope to bring it back down there one day :)

Checked out your build thread on this the other day, love it!

Re: Re:

lazyrabbit":lm3a6teu said:
Did you do anything with the original stem? Might be interested in that for my own Orange.
If you mean the stem on mine it wasn't original equipment, it was something nasty with holes drilled in & bolts fitted. Think I've still got it somewhere :facepalm:

Back