Paint it black... new colour on page 2!!

Old Ned":2f8jjetg said:
Looks like a very nice bike and an absolute bargain!

Did the Peterson brothers ride Crescent bikes when they were amateurs?

Interesting link to Merckx and DeRosa.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Sweden/Crescent.htm :

"From early 1960s Crescent and Monark was actually the same bikes but with different colour, decals, badges, etc. They were the dominant brands in Swedish racing and also sold a lot in Norway and ... Finland.
The famous Pettersson brothers, with three consecutive TTT worlds titles 1967-1969 rode these bikes, two of them (Erik and Sture) on the orange Crescents while Gösta and Thomas rode the light blue Monark. Gösta won the 1971 Giro d'Italia on a Monark although that was a custom made bike, (said to be) De Rosa, painted blue. (Dirty joke of the late 70's: "Do you know what the queen and Gösta Pettersson has in common? - The both have a Monark 'tween their legs")"
"In the late seventies the company marketed Crescent as the top end quality bike while Monark became a budget brand and was out of racing. This is still the case..(but) last year there once again was a Monark road racer on the market, at budget price. ..... I ride a 1968 Monark with Campy bar end gear changers and other goodies."
"Today Crescent & Monark are two brands in a Swedish owned bike conglomerate including also Bianchi, Gitane and the Peugeot cycling division as well as Norwegian DBS and the group is the biggest on the European market."

Tomas Nilsson
Arvika, Sweden

I find this in classicrendezvous.

Tuure
-.-

tle88":2nbxmj3e said:
Old Ned":2nbxmj3e said:
Looks like a very nice bike and an absolute bargain!

Did the Peterson brothers ride Crescent bikes when they were amateurs?

Interesting link to Merckx and DeRosa.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Sweden/Crescent.htm :

"From early 1960s Crescent and Monark was actually the same bikes but with different colour, decals, badges, etc. They were the dominant brands in Swedish racing and also sold a lot in Norway and ... Finland.
The famous Pettersson brothers, with three consecutive TTT worlds titles 1967-1969 rode these bikes, two of them (Erik and Sture) on the orange Crescents while Gösta and Thomas rode the light blue Monark. Gösta won the 1971 Giro d'Italia on a Monark although that was a custom made bike, (said to be) De Rosa, painted blue. (Dirty joke of the late 70's: "Do you know what the queen and Gösta Pettersson has in common? - The both have a Monark 'tween their legs")"
"In the late seventies the company marketed Crescent as the top end quality bike while Monark became a budget brand and was out of racing. This is still the case..(but) last year there once again was a Monark road racer on the market, at budget price. ..... I ride a 1968 Monark with Campy bar end gear changers and other goodies."
"Today Crescent & Monark are two brands in a Swedish owned bike conglomerate including also Bianchi, Gitane and the Peugeot cycling division as well as Norwegian DBS and the group is the biggest on the European market."

Tomas Nilsson
Arvika, Sweden

I find this in classicrendezvous.

Tuure
-.-

Thanks Tuure, I had a feeling this was the case. Interesting to see the De Rosa connection here also. I'll have another look at classicrendezvous (which I consider to be a great site!)

:D :D :D :D

Thanks for all the comments guys! I completely missed that this post was active again! :oops:

And most of all, tack så jättemycket Tuure!!

I was curious when I bought it to what model it could have been and did a little research but didn't come up with much.

I don't know whether it's a good or bad thing but I've rarely used this bike (thanks to a crap summer) but I found a period correct front mech on ebay to finish it off. Now it spends most of the time hanging from my lounge wall, were it gets a lot of attention from people who know nothing about bikes, they love it!

After reading the bike's history it makes me what to re-restore professionally it to it's proper colour (orange is goooood!) and buy some decent tyres for it - I just bought cheapies because I didn't know how much I'd use it and they're 27"/630 which makes them hard to find.

Here's a few more pics...

Cheers! Neil

Attachments

• detail2.jpg
    detail2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,974
  • detail1.jpg
    detail1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 2,974
  • wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 2,974
This is mad, I missed the new posts again! (freediving in the Red Sea :D)

Firstly I’d like to thank Tuure for the latest info (very tempted with the decals) and then apologize to him for the new colour....

I put a lot of thought into it. Orange is the Crescent team colour but I finally decided on powder blue because I’ve always wanted a powder blue bike and my favorite car of all time is the GT40 in Gulf colours. I got it professionally painted and wow, what a difference!!

I thought about changing the bar-tape to orange for a total Gulf look but stuck with the red because it goes so well with the blue. I also found some NOS 27x1 vintage Carlisle tyres to replace the chunky cheapies, they look the shizzle and weigh half as much (not had chance to ride them yet – there’s nothing but snow and ice here!)

Now I just have to wait for spring....... :cry:

Attachments

• CresentBL3.jpg
    CresentBL3.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 2,818
  • CrescentBL4.jpg
    CrescentBL4.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 2,818
  • CrescentBL2.jpg
    CrescentBL2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 2,817
  • CrescentBL1.jpg