slightly used PACE RC35 update - east coast frankenbike

Oh dear, but on the plus side assuming you regain the feeling in you fingers talk to Tim (Justbackdated) and see if he can't help with spares. If not I might know of a bike shop where I used to live with an old Pace cabinet still stocked.

Eeek!!

Glad the injuries are minor!

Unfortunately I think it will be best kept as a trophy as it will be uneconomic to repair; with such forces involved the crown sockets and steerer may be distorted; the dropouts may have debonded/distorted with the twist and the bonded alloy bridge is really best fitted using the original jigs which, although I have a jig the bridge itself is not available any longer.

I think there is still a complete XCS lower slider assembly at Pace but I am fairly sure they have no stanchions. I may have a pair and will check but I think the best bet[and safest] is a replacement fork unfortunately :cry:

Best wishes
Tim

so, now I'm feeling a bit better...

I dragged the poor victim out of the shed and removed the damaged pace fork. Accepting all advice that its beyond reasonable repair, its time for Plan B

Vector 2 Girvin...

Awaiting a spring being manufactured for the ODS shock, I'll have time to overhaul the ODS, source a headset to suit (tough call - 1 inch threadless?????) and a suitable stem...

Do ya think Gil can do a Cannonflex logo? :)

Attachments

• 06042012355.jpg
    06042012355.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 560
Re:

racer x":2smq3zkv said:
how that frame never got damaged awesome bike

Seems the forks worked as a crumple zone protecting both frame and rider!

Amazing thing about a tube is that the stress is evenly distributed around the wall. In order for the tube to fail like that, has to be sufficiently huge deformation for the tube to have ended up getting pipe-benderised/nearly sheared off at the crown, but once a tube goes like that... far far past oval into fully flattened out in a pinched shape, it's lost all its strength, and will bend a long way.

Pretty impressive the fork legs or the crown did not fail! I would not have expected to see the steel tube to fail first, I would have expected the steerer tube to destroy the crown.

Wild.

Re:

Ouch!

I've seen two or three RC 35s go in a front end impact, but they were the early ones & it was the steerer/crown that failed.

Guess you hit that hole pretty hard, lucky you weren't hurt more.

Back