Alpinestars Cro-Mega

alpiner

Retro Newbie
Been after info on my bike for a while and discovered it was a Cro-mega through another forum. Decided to do some more research tonight and found this forum and some more pics belonging to a member on here.

Anyway, here's my bike:

I bought in 1992, it was 2nd hand and the frame had been resprayed due to it being a stolen-recovered one, so had no indication of what bike model actually was. The AlpineStars USA logo is stamped on the frame where the rear spindle sits. Pics are below.

I used to ride it almost everyday before I got a car, but nothing really serious: racing-wise, and has been relatively unused for the last 6 years for definate. It is still in good condition tho but sat in the workshop.

The spec of it is:

AlpineStars 21 speed gents mountain bike.
> Accu-trax straight front forks.
> Zoom lightweight seat post.
> Kona Avocet gel seat.
> Alpinestars mega-lite handlebars.
> John Tomac grips.
> Shimano short reach brake levers.
> Shimano Deore XT sis gear levers.
> Shimano brake set & blocks.
> Shimano narrow chain.
> Shimano Exage 500LX front gears.
> Shimano Exage 500LX front derailleur.
> Shimano 7 speed rear block.
> Shimano Exage 500LX rear derailleur.
> Ritchey Vantage Sport rims.
> AlpineStars 26" x 2.1" tyres.
> Quick release seat post pin.
> Quick release front & rear skewers.

That is how it was when I bought it, and the only things changed have been a pair of new tyres, new spokes and a set of V brakes.

The frame numbers are 988060166 - B10268

As it was when I bought it:
a33f860a.jpg

As it is now since 1999-ish:
f0bced07.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't brilliantly clear, but they are a photo of a photo.

Very nice that Shawn. The yellow is a good colour for it and the spec is very original. The forks are the original alpinestars ones and not accu-trac i'm afraid, they look similar I must admit. A few members on here have e-stay cro-mega's myself, bikehoarder and Mr. K to name but a few (try their galleries for more pics) and the catalogue is displayed on the scans thread.

If you need any info, seatpost diameters etc just ask.

Thanks. :D
I had the frame painted yellow as I wanted it to stand out seeing as the design is different from the usual regarding the raised chain-stay.
The grey tyres were co-incidence really - a friend had a good rear tyre so I bought a colour-match (although slightly thinner) new front to replace the original AlpineStars tyres which had worn. I did these at the time I replaced the spokes, using my friends home-made stand and worked my way round the rim one spoke at a time.

How do you know what manufacture the forks are? I couldn't get them identified and just went off the stickers that were already fitted so you may well be right. Are they a different diameter?
Bikehoarder's topic was how I found the site :D
Will check the catalogue topic, thanks.

Glad i'm good for something!!! :LOL:
Welcome to retrobike heaven, you'll be skint soon, and waking up in a cold sweet, fearing that you've missed something in the "For Sale" section!!!

Back