Engineers?

I'm not engineer - I'm a programmer that loves getting his hands dirty. Would love to be an engineer though!

Did a btec in mechanical and electrical engineering at 16. Forgot everything by 18, did GNVQ Art & Design and bummed about for many years. Worked for McLaren, then a mobile phone /laptop servicing company.

I now drive a taxi

I have bee a micro-machining (laser) engineer I guess they might call it, though I would call it technician ;)
I have then been a Epitaxy III-V semiconductor engineer and I would call it engineer.
Of course now any micro machining I do would be at the engineering level, above what I did before.

Unfortunately where I live these jobs are just not here, in fact very few physics based jobs are here.

So I'm a 'public school' science technician, paid peanuts, lower than the state schools :(
But it's fun (most of the time) and I get to mess with things.

I do hate shoddy builds, poor welds and misaligned parts. Its why I really appreciate some of the old stuff - M900 is soooo nicely made and finished. Bst gruppo Shimano made aesthetically :D

Engineer here too! Well qualified, design gas turbine (jet engine) parts. Both civil and military. Have a full machine chop and fabrication shop at home, from when I used to run my own business. Problem with 'proper' engineering is that its hard to to get people to appreciate the time and effort things take. Making one off stuff takes hours, compared to setting up production batches as minutes er piece. And people expect the one off to be cheaper as 'you just knocked it up', and 'you have all the tools'. Now more run the machine shop for fun, and get involved in bigger programmes for daily employment.. .

aerospace engineer, strangely tho you dont appreciate any of the components or materials, its all just work. its all painted green (primer) or black (carbon) anyway

I do like some of the jigs and tools tho and titanium fasteners come handy now and again.

originally trained as a mechanical engineer but thought it was a load of old cobblers and ended up in the bike trade coz i loved bikes, as some of you know i quit that recently due to the bike trade being a not nice trade to be in anymore and now i'm a lab technician with more money and spare time! come full circle i guess! :D

it also worries me that as a bike mechanic i'm a better pipe fitter than some of the qualified guys on site!! :shock: and i'd never done it before!

I'm a production Engineer, got an HND in computer aided engineering work for a Machining sub contractor , I write the programs for all the lathes and mills using a CAD CAM package. as well as designing fixtures and jigs etc. We make stuff mainly for oil and Gas industry, Telecommunications and Rolls Royce Aero engines

When I got my first job after college I was an Interface Design Engineer,

Yes the term is very overused - I draw for a living, NCR the company I joined wasn't allowed to employ anyone other than engineers for the section I worked for, so they made me one - by job title only :)

Back