Lights

Thought I'd drag this thread up.

Picked up some lumicycle HIDs for winter riding. Have to say they are simply awesome :D

you've probably seen this already on t'internet but I got a pair of these Electrons http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/acatalog/ ... ights.html
(5th item down)
Out of the box they burn for over 5hrs but the lamp is a bit wee-coloured and not bright enuf for off-road so...
Go to maplins and buy a 6v 10w bulb - swap em over and you have a VERY capable off-road lighting system which still burns for well over 2hrs and costs less than 40 brick!

Anyone tried the HL-EL530? I've read it's supposed to be equivalent to about 40W or something silly! At only £40, you could get two and have 80W of motorist-blinding ability... :LOL:

have old cateye's HL520's or something the battey died so i bought
the new equivelent with the small dichroic bulbs and they are crap
no really crap but the battery is the same as my old ones so swaped it out
built my own light using a dewalt batt drill battery(the flat cased ones
that fit in a saddle bag) these come with an intelligent charger
using a 20 watt 36 mm dichroic bulb and a cnc'd housing/mount
it runs for about 40 mins on 1 charge and the battery is small enough
to carry a spare in my camelback.
nice big bright spread of light but best backed up with another light.
mike

I've just bought a light and motion arc on ebay!
Brand new from the USA, £375 here, i payed £200.
It's like having the sun on your handlebars!!
:cool:

Well, the EL530 is one of the LED headlights - just wondered how they stack up against conventional filament-bulbed units really...

Heathy - out of interest is there any chance you can post up a photo of them in action (minus flash :shock: )? I am really keen to see how these are!

I'll try and post a pic tomorrow of my budget system - I want to see the difference.

Cheers.

Bit of a daft question, but I've taken to using a Petzl Tikka head torch, 3LEDs burn time of about 85 hours and a red LED on the back. Are head torches legal? Or do I need a proper bike light on the front too?

Head torches are a great idea but I think by law you got to use a filament bulb lamp front and rear.

Let's face it though - the LEDs are so much better I can't see an occifer of the law challenging it.

(except maybe in Penrith where I got 3 points fixed penalty for 78mph - See Boz, I paid for it - they got me on my way back that Sunday morning!!)

Back