Anyone broken a Klein?

I wonder what hurt more the injuries from the impact, or when you realise your just trashed something as nice as that. :cry:

Actually from reading the account of what happened it sounded like it was due to a production-line failiure - apparantly it snapped at the weld and therefore tore off the top tube. Crazy stuff.

At least he'll be able to sell the forks and stem...

There were a batch of welded up kleins doing the rounds around london area in the lmid-late 90's through mend-a-bike in Filham. They had a contact at Fusion, who was letting bikes out that were split at the seat tube, and tommy quick was welding them up again. And then they split again.. And henceforth klein haven't liked anybody to use a shimmed use post. Understadably.

And of course all the above is 'alleged and heresay', ;)

I broke one like the one on the pic above (Attitude '91 but mine was a red yellow and pink one). It developed cracks at the down-headtube junction and on the massive forks' crown. I got a brand new '99 adroit as a replacement, though, equipped with a manitou sxr

A while ago there was someone offering on the dutch internet marketplace (marktplaats) a collection of Kleins, most of them were not ridable.
Broken, parts missing, and some of them very damaged.
I'll have a look for some pics, I mailed him.

I remember years ago a contact of ours had an original red/yellow fade Klein Adroit with a whacking great big dent in the top tube....good couple of inches in size....think they were gonna use it as a shop bike :shock:

Stu

Of the older Kleins which have cracked or broken, does anyone know whether the rigid bikes were more prone to cracking than those fitted with a Mag 20?

They do break, not so often but they do break.
I've seen some in the last 3 months from beginning '90s and all had a crack at the seattube/bottombracket.

Also the full sussers crack. The frames I saw did not realy break in pieces but just cracked and made noises...always a bummer if you have to replace a golden oldie for a Trek... :cry:

Back