Some advice on 'done' deals & deposits please

FMJ":7n1egxhk said:
He wasted £100 worth of your time coming to see the bike 5 or 6 times. And standing by the original £2,000 price, you may have lost a £3,000 offer waiting for him to SOGOTP.

Thanks for your input dude, my sentiments entirely. You'd think as he works in business that he'd know 'an agreement verbally and in writing is an agreement.'

chris667":1bhtydj4 said:
I don't know.

Honestly? You are in the right, and you know you are.

But....

£2000 is a lot of money for some people to plump up. So is £100. If he's run up a credit card bill, or lost his job, it feels bad to keep it.

I'd probably suck it up and give the money back. There are better ways to make money, and being annoyed just stops you sleeping.

Thanks for the input pal. Yes I know I'm in the right but I wanted to gather RB feelings to see if they did to and it is so. The thing is, he knew the price for over a year, I've been upfront and given up my time etc. If he for example had lost his job, it would be a different matter however he hasn't. I'm a more than fair person but after reading everyone's contribution I'm going to stick to the agreement we had. I'm not annoyed, he wasted my time, reneged on the deal and lost his deposit something he knew all along, he's only himself to blame and maybe he needs to learn that you can't waste people time, agree to a deal verbally and in writing and then just pull out. It's a bad way to conduct business and not the way to treat people. I'm sure he wouldn't do that if for example he was buying a car, boat or house. I have actually given him another option as well a part ex deal on one of his bike as another option so we'll see.

Bullpup":27kj0qij said:
It seems that the situation is pretty cut and dried at least in terms of where you stand contractually. There is no reason for you to feel uncomfortable about the situation as both parties obligations where clearly stated from the outset. Furthermore you have been more than accomodating. Only you can decide if any form of rebate is acceptable to you and that may be determined by your opinion of whether the other party is "at it". As many have stated you are perfectly within your rights to keep the money but at the end of the day you must do what you are comfortable with.

Thanks dude, appreciate your input.

SavagePower":1yxjh5r4 said:
mkone":1yxjh5r4 said:
Personally i dont think it is even worthy of consideration. Obviously you are undecided as you are kind. You have already proved that by offering to honour your original price and to lower your deposit. The buyer, i use that term losely :LOL: , also knows this and is obviously hoping to salvage something from the deal. Which brings me to the fact a deal was made, wether in writing or word. And technically he has already receaved half the deposit back when you reduced the original deposit by 10%. So after me ranting for a bit i feel you are being more than fair :) Tell him you have sold the bike and used his deposit to celebrate :)

Mark

Thank Mark, you're absolutely right. I am kind and dislike any animosity, however they have really messed me around and gone back on their word and the deal which has completely wasted my time.

In which case this is entirely a problem of their own making.

Re:

middle ground, tell him you will knock the £100 off the price of any bike he buys off you in future.
He can't get too miffed at that and his £100 is not completely gone.

Thanks all for everyone's input.

Well the buyer has now come back to me and said that they will continue with the deal and 'take the bike rather than lose £100' so I'll guess we'll see.

Re:

Sounds like it has all ended well. I have a mate who was sniffing around one of my motorbikes for years. He used to come over to my shed and help do bits and bobs, a lot on that bike. I put it up for sale locally and, out of the blue, he called me and asked me to keep it for a month, (of course I did not ask for a deposit).

The month came and went, and then another three did the same. Every time he told me his funds were short, and I said no problem, see how you are next month. Eventually the last month ended and he came over to the house, kind of hanging his head, and reckoned he was going to have to abandon the purchase. I told him I understood, and no harm done as I had a buyer lined up.

When he got back from walking the dogs the next morning, his wife had it sitting in their garden with a ribbon , balloon and a birthday card on it.

It is not worth falling out with anyone over a hundred pounds.

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":tgnq5edt said:
It is not worth falling out with anyone over a hundred pounds.

Agreed, £100 is a lot to some people but not a lot to others but if there's no goods handed over I don't see why you should hold onto it, I wouldn't let anyone put a deposit down on a sale, if they want it they'll pay there and then, yeah, give em till payday but past that it ain't gonna happen till a rich relative dies or they add a credit card to PayPal.

At best,give em £100's worth of the bike, i.e. the tyres shifters, derailleur.....

I have learnt in the past if you can't get money your owed off your bestfriends for stuff what made you think strangers is going to be any easier! At least you still have the goods.

RBG

chris667":235ig3p0 said:
I'd probably suck it up and give the money back. There are better ways to make money, and being annoyed just stops you sleeping.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. There's more productive things to focus our energy on than folks who waste our time.

I'd give it back with a strong don't waste my time again message and focus on selling it for it's true worth so you can get what you really want.

Back