What would be the best wheelset for V Brakes

Mike Muz 67":3rkii776 said:
dyna-ti":3rkii776 said:
Mike Muz 67":3rkii776 said:
Aren't Hope prone to cracking on the flanges?

Always liked the look of them buddy, but been put off from reports from fellow r/bers about them, that's all. So as a consequence, never bought any. Guessing the small flange are for rigid then?
Are they 8 speed freehub bodies as standard, or are they interchangeable?

Appols for going off on a tangent :roll:

Mike

Hi Mike.
They do crack, but i wouldnt say they are prone to cracking. Ive run them since they first came out and still highly rate them. Most of the one's ive come across with cracks are on the inner flange around the ti body. Ive seen more cracked/snapped spoke flanges on other hubs than on hope ti's :)
The freehub runs 7/8 or 9 speed.
Nice hubs but seem to sell for a lot of pennies these days :roll:

Mark

Re: Re:

andyz":3oaosfhk said:
How about first generation Crossmaxes?

Like the look of those, you have taste! ;) Do they make a nice loud clicky noise like modern hubs?
Probably very expensive too, or not?

Mike

Re:

I'm still swaying towards the 950xtr hubs. They are pricey but also appear to be appreciating in value which makes them kind of a strange investment. I think they would also look awesome on the bike. Is there any downside to these hubs? How do they compare to modern equivalents? I won't ever be running disc with these wheels so won't Need the fittings.

Re:

Hope Ti cracked, particular the FatSo, that's the problem with the interface to the Ti tube. The Mono's based which are the same but solid Alu didn't have that problem. The area around the spoke holes ripping off was not common, but happened with a few brands.

The M950 are perfectly good hubs, should have Ti parts to lighten them. They're not as rigid at the fork interface as it's not as large as modern hubs (or even the early 00s hope mono hub.

But they are excellent hubs. If you have them, want then, then use them :)

Re:

Ok got a pair of XTR 950 hubs brand new in box for £200 now need to get some 32 hole rim brake rims. Mavic XM719 are my top of list but open to other suggestions. Also any suggestions on good spokes? The reason I'm swaying to xm719 over 717 is that I'm 16stone so a bit heavy on wheels and the 719 is stronger.

Re:

I've had a few sets of 26" xc717 with deore lx and xt hubs, been very pleased with them. The last set though I split the rim over tightening the spokes so needed to get a new of wheels.
I saw on eBay a set of NOS American Classic mtb wheels but was a bit unsure as the reviews were a bit mixed on the older models but I took a punt and purchased them. Not the prettiest wheels but I must say that coupled with kool stop brake pads they are the best wheels I've had so far. Braking is absolutely superb and quite a bit better than the 717's which I also ran with kool stops.
Not sure what will happen when these ones bite the dust as 26" rim brake rims do seem harder and harder to come by now.

Latest posts

Back