Building up a nickel 1996 Orange P7 for Mrs. R

Re: First part for a new build. Any guesses?

Well, the P7 finally arrived. No thanks to Senditnow (should have arrived before noon on Tuesday -- finally arrived Thursday morning. Lucky they're not called Receiveitnow!).

No photos yet as it was dark when I got home. First impressions are pretty good. Frame has lost a lot of lacquer and has a few rust marks, but no dings. Some of the original LX is in place (notably shifters, brake levers and V-brakes). Other bits (RD, chainset and rear hub) have been replaced by early 2000s Deore. The Pace RC35s seem to be a bit shot to bits (at least the elastomers are), and need a good service. I'm looking to offload these anyway to be replaced by some Orange F7 or Pace RC30 forks. Headset and stem are new and cheap!

So, I'll be stripping everything off this weekend and getting busy with the tin foil and Autosol! And taking some photos...

First part for a new build. Any guesses? Yup, an Orange P7!

azaro":8meh99ou said:
I too am about to commence a P7 build!
A '94 one? Be interesting to see the differences in the frames. I'm aware of the diamond detail on the bottle bosses. Anything else?

Also, what condition is your frame in? Be good to swap tips on restoration. Are you planning on lacquering yours afterwards?

And finally, are you going rigid or suspended?

Good luck with the build... :LOL:

Re:

Yeah, it's a 1994.
It's been powder coated black very recently, with new decals.
I'm going rigid (just had a set of F7's powder coated) and mostly DX.
Got everything bar a seatpost and crankset, but these are on their way.
As usual I've acquired loads of extra bits I won't be using, so let me know if you need anything as I may have it spare.

Will try and get some pictures up over the weekend

Re: Re:

azaro":2t2jxi8f said:
As usual I've acquired loads of extra bits I won't be using, so let me know if you need anything as I may have it spare.

Sounds nice and stealthy in all black.

I'm short a stem, possibly a headset (the bike came with a dodgy looking M-Part one), and some nice F7 or RC30 rigid forks. If you just happen to have any of those lying around... :p

Re: First part for a new build. Any guesses?

Thought I'd update the thread with some 'before' photos.

BmfGTok.jpg

hpLDHMR.jpg

aGofRKg.jpg

9i1kqp8.jpg

I1j1MEA.jpg

Closer inspection shows that the frame is actually in pretty decent condition. There's some rust (inevitably), but only surface, I think.

Having started with the tin foil method, I soon got bored and went down to the local hardware shop for some Nitromors equivalent. Much easier!

So far, I've found one small ding on the frame, and everything seems to be aligned. So, I'm happy!

Back