calffee greg lemond z replica

cloonaghpat

Retro Guru
Hi,

Just sharing my current project. I saw this calfee tetra pro frame come up on ebay. I haven't seen too many come up over the years. It's branded as carbonframes, and it very similar to the carbon fibre bikes Greg Lemond used in 1991 and 1992. I am going to do a replica of the 1992 bike. It won't be exact, but it should be pretty close. The plan is to use C Record with ergolevers and deltas (they are first generation so it should be interesting to see if the stopping power is as bad as legend suggests). I am currently stripping back the lacquer, nearly there, but it will still take a couple of weeks. I have sent away for a colouring paste to add to the clearcoat to recreate that inky blue effect in the lacquer. I will do a test on a seatstay just to make sure the effect is correct.
I have nearly everything, just missing 44cm scott drop ins and the stem. Feel free to upload any images of the 1992 greg lemond badged calfees. I will upload any images I have as the build progresses. The wheels are just there for mock-up purposes, a nice pair of used campagnolo omega 19s with a cassette hub have since arrived.

Regards,

Pat

Attachments

• calfee 1j.jpg
    calfee 1j.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,518
Re:

The drop outs are titanium, The 92 team bikes had horizontal dropouts. Greg Lemond preferred horizontal dropouts as they allowed adjustment to the wheel set up.

Attachments

• calfee 2j.jpg
    calfee 2j.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,514
Re:

Some of the photos were taken with an iphone/ipad and the better ones were taken with my Fuji FINEPIX JX400 camera. I upgraded my mac operating system and couldn't download the photos I had taken. Everything sorted now, so the photo quality should be getting better (I hope).

Attachments

• calfee 7j.jpg
    calfee 7j.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,509
Re:

Ooh, I like that, different take on a Z bike

Look forward to progress reports! :cool:

Mike

Re:

Just a couple of photos showing how this is progresssing. After 2 weeks of using "carbolift" sanding, and using razor blades on the frame, I managed to get all the previous clearcoat off.

Attachments

• bare frame jpeg.jpg
    bare frame jpeg.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,226
Re:

Decals from Dizzibird and then off to the garage to spray. (Just to clarify, that is red spray is from a massey ferguson tractor hood) I was spraying for the nephew.

Attachments

• spraybooth1.jpg
    spraybooth1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,228
Re:

I have most of the components, so I starting putting it together yesterday.

Attachments

• frame1jpeg.jpg
    frame1jpeg.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,224
Back