7 speed help needed

Re:

Ok so this evening I found an old cassette spacer ring and gave it a go but I ended up with too much spacing - the cassette lockring won't reach the threads
It will probably be ok if I grind the 3 pins of the back of the cassette - Ill get there one way or another :)

Those 3 pins likely hold the cassette together. How large a spacer do you need? Different thicknesses easily available. Fit the cassette on with the lock ring and use a feeler gauge to work it out.

eBay is good for stuff like this if your local bike shop can't help, just search for cassette spacer in cycling.

Re:

I've just be hoping for a quick fix but yeah I'm going to have to measure it properly and go from there

I only used a 1mm spacer but because it sits against the cassette pins on the back it moved the cassette outward more than 1mm. The pins previously where sitting in cut aways.

I could buy a 12 up cassette but I've a short cage mech and 22/32/42 front rings set up so I'm trying to use this 11/28 I've got

This is designed to fit around the pins

shimano-cassette-spacer.jpg

Re:

I thought looking at it thay it would fit around the pins but couldn't get it to line up properly with all 3 or push over them.

I'll take a another look at it tonight

Cheers

Re:

Sounds good – nothing like coming up with one's own DIY solution. Reminds me I've got to have a go at building my own custom 7speed cassette...

Back