Hub Help. 9 speed recommendation.

platinumdan

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi there, bit of a hub novice, was hoping for a bit of help.

I've got a mid-90s Merckx Corsa Extra, 9spd, with mostly Dura Ace 7700 on it. Wheels are the same period 105 hubs on Mavic something or other, 36 hole.

Got a lot of grinding from the back wheel, I've taken the hub apart and re-greased but the problem is still there. I don't really know anything about hubs, so was hoping for some recommendations of some good quality replacements, just need to be 9 speed compatible.

Many thanks!

HOPE, Chris King, Mavic, Shimano to name a few all, make good hubs. Looking on Ebay you can still buy NOS 105 5500 hubs at a reasonable price this can also save you money as you can reuse the old spokes and at upto £1.50 a spoke thats quite a decent saving. There will be some that say you can't use old spokes but having had this conversation with my local LBS as long as the spokes are in good condition there's no reason not to.
PS have you checked to see if it's the free hub grinding and not the hub itself

Re:

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated and a great help. For the cost of buying a hub and getting it fitted might see if I can get a bit of an upgrade in a cheap wheel set! That said checked the freehub this afternoon as you suggested and think you may be right. Thanks again!

Back